Archinect
anchor

Resources for the Hobbyist

BBaumer

I'm interested in switching careers (almost 42 with a bachelor degree in something other than architecture). I'm not sure it's possible, or feasible, at this point. In the mean time, I'm looking for resources I can pick up to allow me to self-study as I create simple designs in SketchUp that feeds my interest.

For example, I want to play with designing a dream home (I'm inspired by the work of Nick Sonder). I can google simple things like stud placements in walls, and I have extensions which automate such design tasks. But I don't know anything about basic foundation and subfloor construction, or how to find construction codes that would guide such design. What resources would you recommend to a hobbyist like myself?

Jan 6, 19 12:43 pm
Non Sequitur

Depending on where you live, you may not need much to switch into a small building / single family house design gig as many jurisdictions do not require an architect's involvement.  

As for basic codes and details, certainly a building tech college course should take care of the bare minimum... but looking over Nicky Sonder's site, I can assure you that level is not easily achievable by a mere hobbyist.

Plenty of resources available, both online and in print. It's really not difficult to find your way around single-fam wood construction.

Look here: https://buildingscience.com/

Look through the bookstore tab too.

Jan 6, 19 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

If you don’t have any interest in ever getting licensed... just check out a local community college architectural technical program. It will get your feet wet on software, design, and basic codes. 

Jan 7, 19 12:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: