Archinect
anchor

Length of portfolio?

babyarchitect1

I know the portfolio should be concise. Is 50 pages for about 10 projects too much? I have limited the content to about 2 spreads for each project which includes a title page and some have full bleed drawings as additional pages. Not a lot of text, but a lot of spread out information. Theres about 6 design projects that are pretty simple from undergrad. Then I have a few large scale models and misc work (jobs, related side projects. etc. ) that are only like a spread each generally..

Jan 3, 19 5:55 pm
Anon_grad2.0

What purpose will it serve?  Work/admissions/cataloging

Jan 3, 19 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
babyarchitect1

M arch application

Jan 3, 19 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
lat8r

If it's for M.Arch it's way too long. The pdf might also be just way too big to upload onto the application since most will cap the max file size [and sometimes page numbers.]  Try to get it between 20-30 pages. 

Jan 3, 19 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Where are you applying? Most schools have pretty strict portfolio limitations. I suggest you look them up before you waste your time.

I had different versions of my portfolio for different requirements (especially since more than two were contradictory). For applications with no strict limits, I used the version based on the most permissive requirements from another app.

Jan 3, 19 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Would have to see it first.

Jan 4, 19 3:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

42 is the answer. 

Jan 4, 19 6:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

But only according to the Exchequer Standards obviously.

Jan 4, 19 7:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The point of standards is to only have one. International for the win! In your face silly US inchies and footies!

Jan 4, 19 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hilander style. There can only be one.

Jan 4, 19 7:35 am  · 
 · 
babyarchitect1

Great 42 sounds like a really good number for sure!

Jan 4, 19 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Baby, see here for the reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

Jan 4, 19 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
babyarchitect1

got the reference, still a great number

Jan 4, 19 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I had a classmate who had a 50 page portfolio - with a lot of nearly-identical diagrams that he felt were critically important.  We had mandatory portfolio-making class in our final year of undergrad and he absolutely wouldn't listen to the instructor (whose rule-of-thumb was 12 pages max, unless a school specifically requires more).  He got a low but passing grade in portfolio-making but eventually got accepted to his top choice M.Arch program.  It took 3 tries.  I don't know if the moral is that he would have been accepted sooner if he listened, or whether it's that his portfolio eventually got an audience who didn't know that instructor's rule of thumb.  

Jan 4, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: