Archinect
anchor

Concept that made your heart sing

hellobuildings

What exceptional architectural concept can you recall? Could be yours or someone else's, from school or real world.

Jan 2, 19 9:49 am
Non Sequitur

I once glued puzzle pieces to pipe-cleaners.  That was a fun concept.

Jan 2, 19 10:15 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

salk institute is perfection

Jan 2, 19 11:30 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

no, but thanks for trying, play again.

Jan 2, 19 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I think you mean Kahncept.

Jan 2, 19 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Kahn was only in it to impress Picasso's ex obvs!

Jan 2, 19 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Kimbell (Fort Worth, TX).  Kahn's use of 'family rooms' and variations on a theme are pretty sublime.  Piano's pavilion isn't too shabby either.

Jan 2, 19 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I was lucky to live 1/2 mile from there when going to architecture school in San Diego. I would go by there on my Saturday run and would use Salk for many of my case studies. Built all these Form-Z, Maya and Revit models of Salk

Jan 2, 19 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Seattle Public Library is absolutely brilliant.

Jan 2, 19 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Arcosanti, Amereida, Sea Ranch, Venezia, Versalles, Therme-Vals, Chaco, Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban, Brazilia, Notre Dame du Haut, to name just a few.

Jan 2, 19 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Arcosanti made me sad.

"Concept" ...sure. Execution, not so much.

Jan 2, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Arcosanti.....No Business Plan! Too bad as it was basically the predecessor of everything that "sustainability" wants to be!

Jan 2, 19 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

caxia forum - HDeM

Beth Sholom - Saitowitz 

Broad - D+S

Jan 2, 19 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Zumthor's Bruder Klaus Chapel makes me want to weep, it's such a beautiful concept: build the space, not the enclosure, but then burn the space, so the enclosure remains. So freaking raw.

It's impossible to photograph, which is why the concept is so strong: I haven't been to it IRL, but I can imagine the fulfillment of the concept even without seeing it, or seeing pictures of it. I can imagine how it smells, even without seeing it.

Jan 2, 19 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

What makes my heart sing are pompous pseudo-academic self-publishing dipshits who've never built a single thing in their lives posing as authorities on architecture.

Some people were put on Earth just to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves. "There but for the grace of doG go I."

Jan 2, 19 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Someone who opted out of architecture into industrial design after discovering how pathetic architectural education was at one of the top schools in the country. 

By the age of 15 I'd built more than you have or ever will in your entire life. Poser. 

Jan 2, 19 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe we should compare portfolios - oh, wait, we already did. All you had to show was a one-room basement remodel - that if I remember correctly had a door that was partially blocked by a column. Rick Balkins has more work product than you. 

Keep it up, Steve. The more bullshit you sling the more of a pathetic poser you are revealed to be. As if that was a secret.

Jan 2, 19 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

What, no built work? Poser.

I searched for a picture of your basement remodel but all I got was this. You're not just a poser, you're also a plagiarist.

Jan 3, 19 10:44 am  · 
 · 

The "major New York art gallery" filed a copyright infringement complaint with eBay and your "very successful" work was taken down, and now sits "in the garage or the backyard shed", you can't remember which. Priceless!

Jan 3, 19 11:25 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I see paint and an Ikea bookshelf.

Jan 3, 19 11:56 am  · 
 · 
tduds

A bookshelf isn't architecture. It's industrial design at best. Ironic given your shade towards Miles just above.

Jan 3, 19 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I was born in 1986 and appear to have more built work than you.

Jan 3, 19 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

By your own standard of "anything within the realm of architecture that you've done that no one else has" ...I have not, but you even more have not.

Jan 3, 19 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The main takeaway here is that you appear fragile and remarkably easy to provoke.

Jan 3, 19 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm reluctant to show my own built work in this thread because so far none of the concepts have made my heart sing.

Jan 3, 19 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

quote quondum: "Show us".

He talks shit about the actual constructed work of others but has nothing more than a bookshelf to show.

Poser. Put up or shut up.

Jan 3, 19 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I never denied talking shit about your work. That was in fact my opening statement. I'm glad we at least agree on this.

Jan 3, 19 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"you're trying to somehow disqualify me and my work." 

Two things...

1) Yes, because as I initially said, it's often perplexing, irrelevant, and unwelcome.

2) The fact that you consider your work and your self inseparable explains your behavior here + elsewhere. Your propensity to take things personally and then make them personal detracts from any attempt to legitimately criticize your output (and it deserves criticism) Talk about bruised egos...

Jan 3, 19 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm out. Going to go think about the Seattle Public Library.

Jan 3, 19 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

We can't talk shit about your work because you don't have any. 

As for your talking shit, need I quote the comments on this thread where you contradict yourself? "your personal history doesn't exhibit any singular accomplishments at all". 

Once again, put up or shut up. New thread, constructed work, Archinecter's are the jury. Unless of course you don't have any. 

Which in itself is a singular accomplishment, although not one to be proud of.

Jan 3, 19 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Make a thread.

Jan 3, 19 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
BjörkIngels

Shame how often I see recurring names on these forums always attacking other posters or making unnecessarily rude comments. If you have so much time to comment on nearly every post in the forum, you must not be busy in the architectural world. I'm not defending blind self-promotion, just tapping you all on the shoulder to remind you there are more important things to think/do/and post about.

Jan 3, 19 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

+1

Jan 3, 19 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Miles and Quondam fighting are like a Bum and Homeless dude fighting. Just sayin'

Jan 3, 19 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry for your troubles Steve, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But stop playing the poor victim, you've been a complete asshole towards me from my first day here. You reap what you sow. Just sayin'

Jan 4, 19 9:47 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

And Im sorry for calling both of you bums. Sorry Steve for what you are going through. Question is, why get so serious on this kind on inconsequential shit?

Jan 4, 19 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

On one hand, my sincere heartfelt sympathies go out to you for what you're going through in your personal life. On the other hand, using that as a dodge to make us feel guilty about calling you out on something wholly unrelated is...well, kinda low, man.

Jan 4, 19 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Whatever, I didn't mean for this to get so dragged out. I'll drop it now & going forward.

Jan 4, 19 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The Sydney Opera House on a summer day.

Jan 2, 19 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Erickson's Museum of Anthropology  ( as seen from a sailboat out in the ocean ) Freaking awesome to see the concrete frames against the brooding dark forest.  Such an iconic west coast image.

Jan 2, 19 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The Micromegas drawings by Libeskind, War and Architecture by Lebbeus Woods, Steel Cloud by Asymptote, Jussieu Library by OMA/Villa VPRO by MVRDV just to name a few.

Jan 3, 19 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

this has just become a soapbox

Jan 3, 19 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Interesting, actually just got Elements of Architecture this Christmas :)

Jan 3, 19 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Only went through it briefly, saw some Parent (& Virilio) stuff in it which is always nice. Talking about concepts that make your heart sing, the Oblique is surely one of them!

Jan 4, 19 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Smlxl served me very well, first as a decent weight in undergrad when gluing my models, then as a inspiration source in grad school.

Jan 4, 19 7:38 am  · 
 · 
BjörkIngels

Definitely a great book, however, I brought it on a flight once and the TSA was convinced I was concealing something other than knowledge within its pages - nearly missed my flight watching them flip through

Jan 4, 19 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Knowledge, lol

Jan 4, 19 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Fumihiko Maki's MIT Media Lab is another that just popped into my head - flawless execution of concept to reality. 

Jan 4, 19 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Thorncrown Chapel by Fay Jones

Jan 4, 19 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What's the concept?

Jan 4, 19 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

*asking for a friend.

Jan 4, 19 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

It's a tree!

Jan 4, 19 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Incredible building.

Jan 4, 19 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

you need to pick smarter friends

Jan 4, 19 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes, that's what my friend said too.

Jan 5, 19 11:33 am  · 
 · 

An elementary school with a slaughterhouse, where the classrooms and slaughterhouse are separated by a vision glass partition wall. Why? to teach kids about life and death. BOOOOYAH.

Jan 7, 19 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

The Wyly Theater in Dallas by OMA & REX. Every time I look at it, it reignites my passion for design. If there were ever a thesis statement about my personal design philosophy, the Wyly would be it.

Jan 7, 19 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: