Archinect
anchor

Assoc. AIA on Resume

2014March

Some people put Assoc. AIA after your name on resume. I am wondering if such a title has any benefits especially in a job searching process.

Dec 28, 18 4:42 am
Non Sequitur

but, is it actually a title?

Dec 28, 18 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I always thought it looked silly as a title. If you’re actually involved then it would make sense to include that on a resume.

Dec 28, 18 9:54 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I thought no it depends who the resume is for.

Clients - yes, include it.

Job app to an arch firm - no, it just looks desperate.

Dec 28, 18 11:37 am  · 
 · 
poop876

No, it's stupid as it's not a title for anything. It's just shows that you are playing some stupid fees!

Dec 28, 18 11:42 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

It shows an applicant may have an above average interest in the profession.  I find the AIA deeply problematic, but membership does show to me that the applicant may be more committed to the profession than someone who doesn't participate in AIA or any other professional organization.  If the applicant is going on AIA building tours and attending CEU seminars, that indicates they are a cut above someone who sits around and does little or nothing to develop their skills and knowledge. 

That said, Associate AIAs in my local chapter are all but extinct due to the crazy high dues.   The ones remaining are only there because they work for a small handful of rich firms that will pay 100% of dues.

Dec 28, 18 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If you're deeply involved with AIA you can make reference to it somewhere down in the body of the resume.  But, no, I wouldn't put it after my name at the top.  Just looks pretentious.  Kind of like when a lawyer puts "Esq" after his name.  You look at it and think he's trying a little to hard to impress someone.  JMHO,

Dec 28, 18 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Agree. Include it down under with memberships, etc., but NOT as a title.

Dec 28, 18 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

literally doesn’t mean anything....

Dec 28, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

I don't think it adds anything but it doesn't necessarily stand out as a negative either.  If you are involved in AIA and have specific examples, maybe you're on a committee or have participated in building tours as mentioned above, then mention those.  Those "extra-curriculars" are what could make you stand out on a resume.  AIA membership in itself doesn't move the needle.

Dec 28, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Honestly, it reads like you are trying to add fluff to compensate for something. Put yourself in the shoes a firm owner for a minute, and it does not have to be an architectural firm: how does being a member, in any capacity, of a professional organization make you better at doing your job? If it doesn't then I think you know what the answer to your original question is.

Dec 28, 18 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: