Archinect
anchor

Just a couple questions about becoming an architect...

chapman9497

I have a couple questions about becoming an architect and wanted to ask if any one would be willing to offer any insight on the matter. I have an Associates in General Education with a minor in Architecture and am in the process of starting my Bachelors in 2019. It should take approx. 2 and a half years as I’m hoping to get on the universities’ “fast track” option that they offer. It will be an Interdisciplinary Studies degree with two concentrations; business, and sales and marketing. I thought this would be a good path as I’d like to open my own firm in the future and thought those two concentrations would be good foundations for that. I then plan on earning my master’s in architecture. I’m 28 and just get the feeling, I’m too old to try to accomplish this goal of mine. I also am kind of lost on where to even begin on earning the AXP hours and everything else that seems to be in the mix of becoming an architect. I currently work as a draftsman for a builder. I’ve been doing that for 3 years. I am under the impression architecture firms don’t hire a person who is in the process of becoming an architect unless they’re enrolled in an architecture program. Makes sense, so I haven’t started earning those hours. I am under the impression I can’t have an architect approve my hours if I were to start them before I enroll in my masters as I would have to be an intern at their firm. I’m just lost on the whole process and not sure where to start other than just earn my bachelor’s and then master’s and take it one day at a time, but I constantly get overwhelm by how much it seems must be done to be an architect. I’m ready to work hard but lost at where to start. Is there any good place to start with where I’m at educationally and is it even possible at my age to become an architect with what is required?

Dec 21, 18 9:12 pm
BulgarBlogger

2 and a half years as I’m hoping to get on the universities’ “fast track” option that they offer.

This says it all - you can't MASTER something "fast". You can get through the red tape fast, but you can't MASTER anything FAST. 

So based on what you said, it seems like you are just realizing you want to do architecture, but you want to "catch up" and do things the FAST way. What is your end goal and what is your expectation for how that end goal will play out in relation to your level of MASTERY of architecture? 

And please don't confuse MASTERY with a Master's degree. Experience in conjunction with knowledge, is what drives true MASTERY in anything you do. As it pertains to architecture, you can get experience in design, experience in technical aspects of the profession, experience in teaching and academia, so what kind of experience do you want to get and how will that propel you forward to achieving your ultimate goal; what is it that you want to MASTER? Or are you just wanting to go through the motions to be good enough to have a license and be an ordinary/mediocre practitioner (in which case, why are you doing this at all?)

Dec 21, 18 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

To be licensed you need an accredited professional degree (either an some degree+MArch or a BArch), complete AXP, and complete AREs. Some states also have additional requirement so you’d have to check on those. It sounds like your degree may not be accredited, which, if that’s the case you’d have to do a masters. NCARB regulates the AXP and ARE process. I’d check there to figure out when you can begin accumulating hours. Definitely check out the NCARB website as they lay out all of the rules pretty clearly. You’re not too old to pursue architecture. NCARB has a bunch of stats too about average age someone gets their license. Didn’t finish mine until I was 30, and I think I’m on the lower end. 

Dec 21, 18 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Paragraphs.

Dec 21, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

What state are you residing in? Check the rules with the state board. You may not need to go to school AT ALL, just work the specified time for a licensed architect and take the tests. If you could include having a licensed architect review your current work product you might be able to start logging the required hours now.

Dec 22, 18 8:45 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

So people here are essentially about overcoming the red tape. Alright- keep producing the shit suburban homes we see everywhere. Carry on...

Dec 22, 18 10:28 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's incredibly presumptuous of you, and totally unnecessary. You aren't the arbiter of what it takes to become a licenced professional. You're welcome to your opinion but you sound like a bitter old fart

Dec 22, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Actually I am, because I am a licensed professional who has been asked to be on comittees who review the licensing requirements. IDP/AXP only quantifies a candidate's experience; it doesn't actually qualify it. So in terms of producing GOOD architects- I can't say with certainty that the licensing proceedure does that.

Dec 22, 18 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Rick, once again, you have no idea what you're talking about because you have no experience with this at all. I can't give any weight to your opinions on this topic at all.

Dec 23, 18 12:29 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

So again - the OP has to ask himself if he really wants to MASTER architecture, or if he just wants to cut through the red tape and be an "ordinary" architect. I always thought that one would pursue something seriously in hope of become extraordinary at it. 

Dec 22, 18 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I don't see where it follows that if the OP went the experience route and forgoes any additional formal training he would be any less qualified than someone that did the Master's route. He may be working now at a higher level than a recent Master's school graduate would be.

The total amount of a student loan would be twice the original borrowed amount when interest is calculated. He would be foregoing two years of income coming in from his job. He would be unable to contribute to a 401K during that time and likely for many, many years after school because of loan repayments which would squeeze his finances terribly. All this so he could design houses - which he is getting paid to do now. When you figure in all the costs, including the 401K differential amount at retirement age, it is probably five or six times the amount borrowed, if not more.

On the other hand in his current job with a contractor he is already starting his networking. He just needs to get a licensed architect in the picture to begin logging his time and providing guidance - if his state permits that arrangement.

If I were the OP I would GO VISIT the state's licensing board and determine which avenues are open.

Dec 22, 18 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Good points by Volunteer that also support forgoeing licensure, not to mention that you'll be competing for work from a decade behind recent grads, albeit with more experience. 

That kind of real experience may also give you limited tolerance for the typically poor quality of architectural education. 

Dec 22, 18 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: