Archinect
anchor

Don't like Architects

BusinessPlan

Anyone else here just generally not click with fellow architects? Always feel like there's something missing, something unhuman about most architects. Maybe it's just me?

Dec 20, 18 9:30 pm
starling
Most architects are unhuman? What does that even mean?

Sounds like you had a bad day.
Dec 20, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I usually have a click and good understanding with the other architect(s) in the room.

Dec 21, 18 1:33 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's the non-architects that are most annoying, they don't get the obsession with concept, detail and working until the last minute before deadline to make something even better.

Dec 21, 18 2:59 am  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

You mean they don’t have deadline PTSD? lol

Dec 21, 18 3:18 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes, they prepare everything in advance, horrible people.

Dec 21, 18 4:53 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

architecture sucks.  hanging out with dogs is almost always better than hanging out with humans.

Dec 21, 18 8:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you should probably look here: https://outpost.archinect.com/store/architecture-sucks-black-on-black?category=Apparel

Dec 21, 18 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

talking to yourself again?

Dec 21, 18 8:48 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i suspect the OP can relate

Dec 21, 18 9:13 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

Thing I don't like about some architects is a feeling of constant judgement and/or competition and oftentimes a jaded and negative vibe.  I think this is a pretty consistent problem in the field and can lead to some toxic work environments and peer/mentor relationships because of it.  I think that architects can still produce good work with a sense of humility and humanity and try to bring others up instead of working in an environment of constant negativity, but it takes work and being conscious about it to get there.  

Dec 21, 18 10:09 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

Nailed it. I think this starts in school. Studio culture breeds contempt and animosity. If you're lucky, you find an office that champions collaboration and camaraderie. Also, architects tend to be a bit socially awkward, so trying to relate to them beyond the latest cover of 'Architect' magazine is a challenge. I feel better about my relationships with peers now than I did in school. Back then, I dreaded any stupid conversation with other students about their perpetual hard-on for Kahn and LeCorbu.

Dec 21, 18 10:43 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

have you been in a room with doctors? or lawyers?

Dec 21, 18 10:36 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

clients don't like architects who lie, bust budgets, blow up projects on percentage fees, or provide shit services

contractors don't like architects who don't know how to build, insist on stupid details, fail to provide information, or throw them under the bus to save their own ass

architects don't like architects because they are egotists and other architects are competition. they're jealous and envious of other's success, especially when it is undeserved, which is most of the time

did I leave anything out?

Dec 21, 18 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You left out the engineers.

Dec 21, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 

and decorators

Dec 21, 18 11:41 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

and significant others

Dec 21, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
FramingJoe

left out construction managers too
Dec 21, 18 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Go out and make friends with people who are not architects. Seriously, I dont understand the obsession with primarily hanging out with people in our industry.

Get a hobby. Play sports. Do an art. It makes you more interesting.

Dec 21, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
FramingJoe

Like playing xbox! Yessssssss!

Dec 21, 18 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I would like to believe that we all have friends outside of architecture and some of these friends will often bitch and moan at how completely awful and incompetent their coworkers are. "Friend, if your company hires only morons, what does that say about you?"

When it comes to coworkers I feel truly blessed to be in architecture. These are passionate thoughtful creatures that are often overstressed and underpaid. In fact, I feel like I live in a sheltered bubble. I feel really bad for people who work in industries that have "customers". We deal with owners, and some are better than others, but we seriously have it made. 

If you are young and new to profession, then you will feel alienated to all of it especially as how it compares to academia. But us weathered dogs have so much to bond over with common war stories of failure, defeat, and substantial enough completions. 

Lather up your body with enough glue of experience before you start bonding with same.  

Dec 21, 18 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Two things:

I remember one of the most outgoing people I knew during college told me he went to a studio party with a bunch of arch students. He said, “I generally can go in any situation and talk to anybody, I couldn’t relate these people at all. They were talking about things like how dumb it was a random window was in a wall the whole time.”

Second. When I switched from architecture to CM I worried about all the “salty mouthed” asshole contractors I’d be dealing with. They’re actually some of the nicest people I’ve ever worked with. There are a few jerks but the difference is they just get mad with what you did and say why. Architects were so entirely demeaning and wanted to insult You as a person. Make you feel insignificant or incapable when you couldn’t read their mind because clearly their thought process was the only right logical way so you should have just known. I feel empowered by my coworkers and superiors now, I felt cut down and judged by my peers when in architecture firms.

Dec 21, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
I think there's a "tough love" situation with architects in general. Don't expect then to open up to you if you are green and fresh. Takes a bit to prove your chops as a cool person. Dunno why but that's the way it is.
I don't think it's dissimilar in other professions. But generally I've found east coast architects to be much more salty and combative than west/south. But in the end we are a pretty harmless bunch compared to, say attorneys, finance guys etc.
Dec 21, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: