Archinect
anchor

Did you get a raise when you got licensed?

js597157

I'm finished up my AREs and wondering what the typical approach in the industry is for adjusting the compensation of newly-licensed architects. Any anecdotal evidence would be much appreciated!

Dec 19, 18 1:01 pm
Non Sequitur

Yes, 10K, but I discussed it months prior to obtaining my license so, there was no surprise from the office's principal.

If your tasks and responsibilities don't change following licensure, don't expect much in terms of a raise.

Dec 19, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

I got a $2k bonus upon licensure, but I also used it as leverage in negotiating a higher salary a little later. But that was mostly based on tasks and responsibilities rather than the piece of paper as Non Sequitur points out. 

Dec 19, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

from my experience. most firms (like 90%) do not offer a raise because an employee got licensed. and most firms (like 90%) do not give a bonus either. 

at most, offices will reimburse employees for the cost of the exams (and only the ones you pass).

but this is based on firms in nyc only.

Dec 19, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

same employee same performance - now new and improved!

Dec 19, 18 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Policy where I work is promotion, raise and bonus.

Dec 19, 18 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
uuuuu

My friend works in a corporate firm in Chicago. Got licensed this year, the firm raised his hourly wage by $1. But I guess it's different depending on the firm you are working in.

Dec 19, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I changed jobs.  Got a raise, and a licensure bonus. 

Dec 19, 18 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

It seemed to be a much bigger deal in the late '90's and early 2000's.   A lot of people back then would take 8-10 years to get licensed, if they did it at all.  As a result, the firms in my region were always somewhat short of licensed people and willing to reward the ones who got to the finish line.  I think recent adjustments to the ARE and IDP are allowing people to get licensed faster and in bigger numbers, so now it's less of a big deal.

Dec 19, 18 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

My exp had been either no raise or pretty minor.  I have also noticed that those with a license advance much faster than the others

Dec 19, 18 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

No raise, no change in responsibilities. Still just another drafter. BUT construction firms and RD firms started responding to my resumes.  

Dec 19, 18 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Hahahahahahahaha.....

No.

Dec 19, 18 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

No raise for being licensed, no bonus. I did get a raise but more because it was time. I did make sure to have a talk with my bosses to go over how/if expectations and responsibilities would change and how to navigate projects with managers who are unlicensed. 

Dec 19, 18 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: