Archinect
anchor

Architect xmas ornament..

mightyaa

So, at my new office, we're supposed to bring in an ornament that represents us.  Since I'm one of the few architects here, thought maybe something along those lines...  Just can't find anything.

I'm thinking about cutting up an old drafting template and adding a hook, or maybe a eraser guide.  Maybe a tiny model.. Any other ideas or sources?

Nov 28, 18 4:13 pm

I have a Seattle Public Library ornament. It's such a capitalist tchotchke I couldn't resist.

What about the Le Modulor, laser cut out of black museum board?

Nov 28, 18 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

Or stick a Monopoly house on a hook!

Nov 28, 18 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

empty coffee cup on a string. 

Nov 28, 18 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

3D print a model of t squares as a snowflake!

Nov 28, 18 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Your favourite detail, or like a nice chromed Mies xcolumn?

Nov 29, 18 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I worked in a firm where they had the interns find pictures of starchitects, buildings, furniture, and products, from magazines, spray mount them to colored card stock, cut them out and tie ribbons through them and hang them on the tree in the lobby. 

Nov 29, 18 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's awful

Nov 29, 18 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't think they were "hung" with nooses... That's a little morbid.

Nov 29, 18 9:24 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

All of the ornaments on our office tree are places we've worked on.  Given, a lot of these places have gift shops which makes it fairly easy.

Nov 29, 18 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Currently I'm thinking of building a little balsawood planter box.

Sort of a inside joke at this office since this particular builder sort of sticks them on all their developments.  Thing is, they're garbage, leak, rot, and fall off buildings.  They don't even function; just cheap ornament (so I should get double points for the extra architectural pun).  Yet for a decade they keep sticking this nonsensical crap on the facade and get sucked into lawsuits where this defect is simply a given.

This ornament in my head will be a sarcastic representation; hot glue, out of square, tons of redundant toenailed pins, and post construction bailing wire as an attempt to secure it to my foamcore "wall".  Even thinking about using a page from the IBC meticulously coped around the connection points and reversed lapped representing the quality WRB and lack of flashings.  Should be fairly quick to make and I won't need to get anal about precision (eyeball measurements and a box cutter).  

Nov 29, 18 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I have a cat, so no xmas tree

Nov 29, 18 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

we have a birdcage, client bought but decided not to use and leave for us. now we decorate it with festival lights.

Nov 29, 18 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

How about a broken Christmas ornament? I was given one by a firm once as a holiday gift. Fitting. I still have it if you want it. It was crystal.

Nov 29, 18 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I thought ornament was crime...

Nov 30, 18 1:55 am  · 
 · 
randomised

:) Indeed, ornament belongs to the realm of Christmas trees.

Nov 30, 18 6:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: