Archinect
anchor

Designer hire architect

Happyct

Hi, I’m a draftsman. The projects we are doing only needs structural engineer license. We also hired an  licensed architect to finish and stamp the construction drawings due to our current work load. Just wondering who will be liable for these drawings? 

Nov 26, 18 10:17 am
Rusty!

In case of a dispute where arbitration doesn't go anywhere, everyone will be sued. Having an architect on board doesn't absolve you from liability, but it should greatly reduce it. A good architect will steer you away from problems in the first place. 

Nov 26, 18 10:25 am  · 
 · 
peijunfei

sounds like Richard Mier style

Nov 27, 18 1:27 am  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

Both

Nov 26, 18 11:15 am  · 
 · 
88Buildings

Everyone will be sued by the plaintiffs. If the architect has no money and no insurance they will focus on the one with the most money and insurance. Anyway everyone will be affected.

So we should only associate with good solid upstanding people when we do business. If a client keeps asking you to reduce fee and cutting corner it is better to fire the client ASAP. Life is too short .

Nov 26, 18 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
88Buildings

@ David. Yes, you are very right. The irony is these a-holes taught me a few lessons on how to be a better businessman which my schools or AIA never expose to me .

Nov 26, 18 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

My general understanding is they have to sue you; that is whom the contract is with; they can't go after your subconsultants without going through you.  The stamping engineers and architects will be named and adjoined, but it generally sounds like they are peer reviewing your work as it pertains to whatever they contracted with you.  So they’ll carry some of the liability, but you are in the ‘responsible charge’ seat.  

Nov 27, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: