Archinect
anchor

Recent graduate (M. Arch.) portfolio review

Hi everybody. I recenty finished my Master's and I'm starting to apply to firms in the US as either an Intern for those who do them for recent graduates or as a Junior Architect/Designer. I'd like to know what you think about the portfolio, or even about the work inside it. I'm open to all criticism no matter how harsh! I'd really like to improve it.

An extra note: I don't use the same project for all the applications: The last 5 or 6 projects, which aren't technically architecture, I reserve for offices that are a bit more open.

I look forward to read what you have to say about it.

The portfolio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nme9...

Nov 20, 18 8:16 pm
randomised

Do you want people viewing this as spreads on screen? If so, make sure you don't have unintentional juxtapositions, example: add an extra page after the cover so the The Hague project doesn't end right next to the NAi. I also really hate that the last line of some text boxes is centred, why? Why? 

I don't get the smoker's chair project, can't see anything there besides an old dude smoking a cigar in something that could be a chair, and maybe too many pages for your type projects and other explorations, I'd combine those on two pages or something so you don't have to end with that ugly watch which is kind of an anticlimax. 

Just nitpicking here, I'd invite you for an interview.

Nov 21, 18 3:39 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the nitpicking, it's really helpful. I hadn't thought about the spreadsheet  arrangement. I always use Windows' PDF reader so I conceived it as a one page at a time document. Is it common to see PDFs as a spreadsheet?

I see what you mean about the smoker's chair and the other projects, I'll add some more drawings to it. I will devise a way to combine multiple smaller projects into one page so that I balance the relevance of the projects properly. I think you're right about the centered last line as well.

Thanks so much for your critique, I really appreciate it.

Nov 21, 18 6:58 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Agreed about the watch and chair, they don’t have much of a wow factor. That said, I always like to see some non architectural work in an applicant and appreciate that you’re catering the work sample per firm.

Of note, is this a work sample or portfolio? It seems short for a portfolio and does not appear to read as a book nor does it seem like it would work well in printed format. If this is the summation of a masters degree I’d want to see much more architecture, especially if there is an undergrad background in arch or anything visually presentable. Further I’d want to see some amount of work done in an office eg during an internship.

If this is only a work sample it’s a great start. I’d keep the arch projects, pick 1-2 of the non arch pieces, ditch the cover as it’s unnecessary for a work sample, consider landscape format as that reads easier on the screen, and consider adding a spread which has a resume so employers don’t need to be opening multiple documents to review all of your info.
Nov 21, 18 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

To be honest, I hadn't made a distinction between work samples and portfolio. This would a set of work samples intended for applications, since I've done much, much more work. This is a selection.

It's clear that the chair and watch have to go; I'll expand on my internship work instead. As for the printing, the full bleed pages don't print well, it's true. My plan is to bring printed copies myself so that I can control the end result. Do they usually print them at the office to review them?

I think I will start working on a landscape format version as well.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Nov 21, 18 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: