Archinect
anchor

Jobs in Canada for foreigners (U.S. Graduate, Guatemalan Citizen)

ff9208

Everyone,

I am hoping to get an idea from those of you who practice in firms in Canada regarding international hires. I moved to the U.S. in 2013 to pursue my undergrad, and I am now about to graduate from my MArch. Since work visas have become exponentially harder to pursue in the U.S., I would  like to apply to some Canadian firms. However, I have heard mixed opinions about the likelihood of a Canadian office to offer a position to an international like me, even if only for a temporary work permit (example: 3 year). 

Does anyone here have an idea of whether this is a feasible goal to try to reach? Do you know of offices that have hired internationals with no Canadian experience or education?

Thank you for your help! 

Nov 15, 18 7:19 pm
Non Sequitur

it’s very much possible if you can compete against the local pool of thousands of technologists and m.arch  grads. What do you have that they don’t and that can contribute to an office?

Nov 15, 18 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

I know you are very well versed on this subject, so I appreciate your response. I am making very intentional attempts at making myself a good candidate. For example, I have interned every Summer since 2016, as well as worked part-time most of the time these past few months. I have close to 2000 hours of experience in my NCARB record. I also became a LEED GA last August. What else, besides a strong portfolio, do you think could help me become more competitive against Canadian graduates?

Nov 15, 18 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can you assemble a complete set of working drawings with very little supervision including clear & accurate details? Everyone has worked summers and is LEED whatever. Please note that the NCARB record does not mean much up here. We have our own exp path and exams. Cheers.

Nov 15, 18 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

I understand Canada doesn't see NCARB records, I am only giving you an idea of the experience I have accumulated through the last two years. Yes I believe I am capable of producing competent drawings for a project without much supervision. The question is, how can I show this to a firm early enough that they actually consider going through the process of hiring an international? Do you know of any firms that could be willing to do this?

Nov 15, 18 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I’m a immigrant to Canada so I can relate. My advice is to send out resumes and see if anyone is interested. But be warned no firm will sponser you. When I first sent out resume, a firm wanted to hire me right away. However I did not have any status in Canada. So reality you need  to get a permenant resident card for anyone to hire you. Best of luck. 

Nov 16, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We're sponsoring 2... maybe 3 foreign employees. Don't have room for more, but just saying, it is possible.

Nov 16, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

Non Sequitur, any chance of an available position next year?? Haha Any other firms you know about that could be interested?

Nov 16, 18 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I don't take part in the hiring process... and any position currently available here would be for just below senior level. Best to try your luck in the larger cities (Toronto and Vancouver) where an large office might have international projects.

Nov 16, 18 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Out of curiosity NS.... are those hires refugee foreigners?

Nov 16, 18 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

One is.

Nov 16, 18 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

What other languages do you speak? Perhaps try an office that has international projects that might require someone to know a language other then english? Maybe that will help

Nov 16, 18 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

That's an interesting thought. I am a native Spanish speaker. Maybe I'll look into firms with offices in South America, Mexico and Spain

Nov 16, 18 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: