Archinect
anchor

Window specs

Nickg
Hi My name is Nick. I work for Interstate window and door. I would like to know what would architects want, need, or like to see from window manufacturers to spec windows. Is there anything inparticular that would make the process easier to spec one window over another?

Nov 14, 18 11:35 am
senjohnblutarsky

I work on publicly funded projects that almost always require listing of three manufacturers (or a performance spec, which is always a pain in the ass once we get to construction).  So, what I can tell you is I'm not interested in specifying one product or another.  I need three products that all do the same thing, equally.  From a manufacturer, I'd like a spec that says provide our window XX series, or the following series from other manufacturer.  And don't act like there is one special feature about your window that makes it better and the others can't comply.  It's not that special.  

We have enough shit to deal with.  Having to sort through petty differences in products to decide which ones actually do what we want isn't high on our lists of things to do. 

Nov 14, 18 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Out of curiosity, where is it written (link or citation please) that you are required to list three manufacturers (or utilize a performance spec)? In my experience, every time this comes up on my projects, I ask for documentation of the requirement and no one has been able to produce it. Instead the requirement is that we allow for competitive bidding. There are lots of ways to do that without listing three or writing a performance spec.

Nov 14, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 

In Illinois this is in the capital development board guidelines but it may not be in other states. Page 8 of the handy manual our state puts out periodically list the 3 vendors thing, there is a procedure for situations where there are not 3 manufactures to chose from.

https://www2.illinois.gov/cdb/business/library/Documents/DCM2009.pdf

Nov 14, 18 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The Code of Virginia requires competitive negotiation, but allows for a process for approval of sole source procurement. In practice, that approval is not often given. The Virginia Construction and Professional Services Manual specifically says a minimum of three manufacturers must meet the specification. Otherwise, a performance spec has to be used.

Nov 14, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, glad I'm not doing work in Illinois or Virginia. With those two, that makes 2 (maybe 3) jurisdictions that have this written down. I say maybe 3 because the other one that I've seen had so many other methods that were ok beyond listing 3 that it really didn't matter. That Illinois document sucks. They've tied the architect's hands pretty tightly. How much is it actually enforced?

Nov 14, 18 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

If you try to cheat the capital development board In Illinois by skimping on these requirements you get blacklisted from doing work for any government agency or any government using state tax dollars or tax credits on projects. It is not so hard as long as you stick to mostly conventional construction methods and materials.

Nov 14, 18 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Revit models of your catalog and have a third party vet them.

Have specification sections pre written in word for download would also be helpful.  

Accurate description of the products size and structural limitations in the form of a chart, specifically wind load and thermal/energy performance.

step by step detailed photos of how the product is installed and what the components of the instillation are, this makes it easier for us to understand the details.

Lunch and learns are good, if your firm is going to donate some windows to habitat for humanity might want to make it an on site educational event for both designers and contractors.

Just my thoughts

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 14, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Parametric Revit Models

Nov 14, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: