Archinect
anchor

Arguments supporting Architects becoming a Direct commissioned in the military?

nickmarsala

Hey guys I have to argue in favor of Architecture being a direct commissioned position in the Military. I'm looking for whatever pros and cons that are available. Thanks and take care.

Oct 9, 18 3:15 am
readbetweenthetrees

What are you going to do for the army, pretty up those blast barricades?

Oct 9, 18 3:58 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

What do you mean direct commissioned? As opposed to winning a commission via RFP? All Federal construction is Bid Contracts. You'd have to argue that negotiated contracts are of bigger public benefit, and that they are not ripe for corruption from literally all sides. Good luck with that one. 

Oct 9, 18 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I don't think you fully understand the term. College graduates, even those with law degrees, have to go through the regular commissioning process such as ROTC, OTS, or the service academies. Even medical doctors have to go through an abbreviated school before becoming commissioned. A 'direct commission' is reserved for something truly outstanding such as an army sergeant taking over after his unit suffered casualties and being awarded a 'battlefield commission' for saving lives, and even that may not be permanent. To think some architect could get a direct commission is really misinformed.   

Oct 9, 18 10:06 am  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

Well the direct commission fields for the Army are listed here https://www.goarmy.com/careers...

Now going back to my question if one had to argue for making Architecture one of those Direct Commission fields along with the ones listed in the link above what would be the best argument to use it's favor? Thanks

Oct 10, 18 1:07 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Do your own homework.

Oct 10, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The DoD already hires architects.  Why not just go that route? 

Oct 10, 18 8:36 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Yes. Anyone old enough to remember the infamous person that NCARB made an example out of for sharing test content on the old areforum will recall that even though she got banned from taking the licensing exams for several years, she managed to become an "architect" more quickly than anyone who was actually testing - she just applied for a civilian "architect" job with the Navy - no license required.

Oct 10, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

You already ran this same thread last December.  The same still applies.  To whom do you have to argue this position anyway? 

Oct 10, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

I'm writing to my representative in the House and my two Senators in the Senate. I'm writing to ask them to support expanding opportunities for people to serve. Raise the age limit, offer people of various and different occupations the chance to commission into the service the same way for JAG, the medical field, Chaplains, etc.

Oct 11, 18 12:15 am  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

In addition I'm also going to write to the Secretary of each branch of the Service along with the Vice President and the President. 

Oct 11, 18 12:17 am  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

I actually would love to see selective service abolished once and for all but yes definitely raise the maximum age to enlist. No question about it.

Oct 11, 18 9:08 am  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

I agree with you about getting rid of the maximum age. It should be based on ability not age.

Oct 11, 18 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: