Archinect
anchor

employment

Michelle Chen

Hi

I'm currently a fresh archi undergraduate in Singapore and have no plan to work in Singapore once I graduate. I have plans to work in the bigger cities like Melbourne or New York. I know Singapore is good but I always have the dream of living in the glam city where creativity is always overflowing

Can I have some advice on what I should do to be nearer to this dream and how is the job prospects in Melbourne or New York.

I am considering taking the LEED GA examination soon and skilled in Rhino, AutoCAD, Illustrator, Photoshop. Currently still learning SketchUp, Revit and BIM...

Oct 8, 18 10:03 am

tons of firms and jobs in nyc. the industry is doing decently well right now so if u have a decent portfolio you'll find something. probably wont pay much, but it's do-able (if u have student loans, this changes things though). you can try to apply to firms before you move there. but really, its easier just to move there and then find a job. being leed certified will help, but being in nyc will help the most. fresh undergrads are pretty much all equally useful to firms (ie not that useful). As long as you know some software, have a good portfolio and aren't a total weirdo, you will probably find something.

Oct 9, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Michelle Chen

Hey, thanks for the advice. Definitely will consider taking that big step to be in nyc for job search first. I've listened to your podcast before, great stuff going on there!

Nov 6, 18 10:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Check those places out as an exchange student, get a feel for the local scene and maybe do an internship while you're there.

Oct 9, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
sidewinder

Internships

Oct 9, 18 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Aaptidarshan

You can register yourself in many job offering sites like indeed or glassdoor. Many firms are looking for Junior Architect. Or you can try for internships. 

Anyway All the best!!

Oct 26, 18 2:48 am  · 
 · 
Michelle Chen

Will do so, thanks!

Nov 6, 18 10:28 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Lol ‘creativity overflowing’ in nyc? Maybe visit for a while, intern for a few months, get a feel for living here first. It’s not the 70’s anymore...glam is over hustle is in.
Oct 26, 18 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Michelle Chen

yea maybe I am getting my hope too high up for nyc from all those exciting stories and media glam. But I'm getting increasingly unsatisfied with the culture here in Singapore so I thought maybe this is a hint and a chance to get out and get a feel of a different environment and of what I always dream of. Maybe it will work and maybe not. In anyway, I'm taking that big hop while I can haha

Nov 6, 18 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Hi, I am a fresh grad myself, but contrary to you, I am actually looking to find a job and moving to Singapore. I heard that the governement are making it harder for people outside of singapore to come to work? Is it still worth trying? Do you know any company that would hire a fresh graduate? 

Jan 29, 19 7:05 am  · 
 · 
homme_du_jura

I lived in Singapore as a kid and had fond memories of that place.  What is it about Singapore that makes it not a good place to practice architecture?  Sure, New York might be known for great boutique and starchitect firms, but Singapore is one of the best run cities in the word. Don't believe the grass is that much greener just from what you see in the media.

Jan 29, 19 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: