Archinect
anchor

Choosing careers.

vedantmodi

I am an 18 year old student. 

How do I make sure architecture is the right fit for me? What is working as an architect like? 

I have always been interested and practicing the arts. I had nearly opted out of architecture as a career until I realised I stood 400th out of nearly 400,000 students who appeared for an architectural entrance examination, with no prior preperation.

Since then, I have pondered over this question and have been interested in taking this up as a career.

But I realise this may be the result of my excitement due to my good results, and so I decided to wait it out for a year and then take a final call.

Oct 3, 18 4:51 pm
Non Sequitur

What's an architectural entrance exam?

Oct 3, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Ricky. I suspected it was some sort of online personality type quiz. You might correct on this one.

Oct 6, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
jeffl

The best way to know if architecture is right for you is to try it. The best way to try it is internship or volunteer.

Oct 3, 18 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I would do some shadowing in an architecture office prior to making your decision. There is no money in the profession either 

Oct 5, 18 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen
Everyone that took the exam is placed in the 400.
Oct 6, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 

There is a great career to be had in spamming the internet - they actually pay you to post shit.

Oct 7, 18 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

And once again we have a bunch of dumb architect chumps on Archinect who are working for free. Aaarrrgh.

Oct 8, 18 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It's a neat career in many ways but has a downright awful business model. 

Jul 18, 19 8:25 am  · 
 · 
midlander

well, better than the converse i suppose

Jul 18, 19 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You're right! You get today's positivity badge.

Jul 18, 19 9:40 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

let me spare you the trouble and tell you to honestly look for another career. It isn’t what it’s crack up to be. Been in the profession for over ten years and know of McDonald’s managers making pretty much a similar salary. Don’t fall for the romantics of the profession. At the end it gets old quick. It’s like marrying a super hot model with no substance. 

Feb 29, 20 8:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: