Archinect
anchor

Self Help Community

garthglasses

Hi guys!

Any references/ theories to new approaches regarding community planning in relocation sites of slum dwellers?

I am on my thesis (again) and I am proposing a self help community planning on the slums of Manila (the ones with secure tenure).

Thanks in advance :D 

Oct 2, 18 2:31 am
randomised

Step 1: Don't call them slums.

Oct 2, 18 2:50 am  · 
 · 
garthglasses

Okay?

Oct 2, 18 4:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Well it is just condescending and disrespectful to call them like that. Especially if you want to work within this context, it shows you don't know what you're talking about on the most rudimentary level and are totally oblivious to the fact you're dealing with real people here, people of flesh and blood, proud people that built their communities from the ground up from nothing/scratch with very little means.

Oct 2, 18 5:06 am  · 
 · 
garthglasses

Hi. Sorry if the terms are misleading. What Im trying to say is

Do you guys have any references/suggestions to new approaches regarding self-help community planning for informal settlers that are relocated in a legal settlement? 

THANK YOU!!

Please dont be rude. If you have rude, sarcastic, questions go type it somewhere else. I am just asking for opinions. This does not mean Im too "lazy to do my research." I AM DOING IT OKAY? That's why I am asking for opinions. 

Instead of being rude, lets just help one another here okay?! 

Thanks x

Oct 2, 18 4:20 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Well, you're the one being rude (towards the people that live where you want to do your "thesis" or whatever you call it, and now you're SHOUTING TOO? You should follow your own advice and ignore yourself :-P

Oct 2, 18 5:10 am  · 
 · 
garthglasses

Rude people = ignored

Oct 2, 18 4:20 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

where is this? I mean,  there's plenty of examples of displaced informal settlements by several different reasons all around the world. I can suggest you look at Santiago, Chile and the process of relocating about 300k people that lived immersed in consolidated neighborhoods making a living and being part of the social tissue; then the military dictatorship with the dominant elites decided it was ugly and not real estate worthy and put them in military trucks and sent them to the outskirts of the city where 70% of the kids became crack heads. So,no, i dont have a positive example of that type of academic bullshit.

Oct 2, 18 8:06 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Why do they need to.move to a new place? It's never about helping these people get a better life, it's always a political manipulation or a money grab by developers. Academia is always useful.

Oct 2, 18 8:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Here are the necessary steps to follow:

1. Read Mike Davis' Planet of Slums
  2. Realize that the problem is beyond simple unicorn sprinkle-type bottom-up strategies do to the terrible corruption levels that percolate throughout
  3. Abandon the silly self-help concept (what's with you and woo topics anyways?) and take the time to understand the reasons behind informal settlements (hint, it's more complicated than you know)
  4. Abandon the naive romantic wet-dream about fixing political corruption with simple, grand-gesture, designs.
  5. Return to point 1... or skip to point 6
  6. Use shipping containers and street furniture in a boring hipster way to solve a non-existant and non-interesting problem

Oct 2, 18 8:31 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^ 7. Complete step 6 to satisfy course/graduation requirements and collect your degree.

8.  Get job in groovy starchitect doing irrelevant designs for the wealthy so that you never have to think about those icky poor people again (while praying you never become one yourself).

Oct 2, 18 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

manila? isn't that the playground of that ignorant and criminal bat-shit crazy midget? why would anyone want to live in manila, let alone a relocated self-help slum?

Oct 2, 18 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: