Archinect
anchor

Container home with basement

ethanbaker

I’ve been looking into container homes but haven’t came across much info on any with basements. I understand the stress that is put onto the containers from back fill when they are buried. But what I’m having trouble finding is containers over a traditional style basement (block/concrete). My main concern is sealing where they would meet. Any suggestions on this? Which route would be the best or just scrap the basement idea if going with a container home. Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions

Sep 19, 18 10:41 pm
Non Sequitur

Just use plenty of caulking, or scrap the whole container anything idea.  It's not 2001 anymore.

Sep 19, 18 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

bury another container

Sep 20, 18 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But, according to the op:

"I understand the stress that is put onto the containers from back fill when they are buried"

Perhaps the solution here is to back fill with additional shipping containers.

Sep 20, 18 8:31 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Anything can be a container. Stress from backfill? Try being the container under 40 other container friends crossing the black sea in january.

Sep 21, 18 7:56 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Fill it with water before backfill, instant indoor basement pool.

Sep 21, 18 7:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

put it on the vertical and you've got yourself a claustrophobia inducing 40' deep scuba training coffin!

Sep 21, 18 8:01 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Awesome!

Sep 21, 18 11:37 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Required reading: https://imgur.com/a/usBzT

May 7, 20 12:44 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Build your basement at ground level :P

Sep 21, 18 8:01 am  · 
 · 

A real architect would have left off the smiley face.

Sep 21, 18 11:07 am  · 
 · 
randomised

what smiley face?

Sep 21, 18 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Emoji, whatever.

Sep 21, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Whatever? Eye for detail!

Sep 21, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

good thread.  would read again

Sep 21, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: