Archinect
anchor

Office/Work Space Planning

spaceghost

Hi Folks,

I have been assigned the task of redesigning our office space plan (I am an architect working in a mostly non-architecture/engineering office).  I don't think anyone really knows what they want so I am trying to figure out how to guide them through the process.  Right now I am in the information gather stage and creating a survey/interview questionnaire to better understand the needs of each division.  

A lot of buzz is going into the modern office workspace but when I look at projects online it looks like the portfolio photos are always of the lobby, cafe, halls of individual quite/meeting rooms and in-between spaces that allow for lounge furniture and collaborative tables.  It looks great and is fun to look at but seems to hide most of the places where focus work takes place.

Does anyone have an recommendations for resources (books, websites, magazines etc.) that I can look at for space planning?  I am looking for inspiration from conceptual design all the way through completion.

Thanks!

Sep 19, 18 12:15 pm

If you are near a major city you could reach out to systems furniture reps and visit their show rooms and more importantly finished projects.  Unless you have experience in office planning these folks will be an invaluable resource.   As for the open versus closed office concepts that entirely depends on the function of your workplace.  The past office projects I worked on it was important to identify a team of users (in your case coworkers) to vet your ideas.  It is also important if you have time space and the budget to have full mock-ups of each major type of workstation or office suite to vet the concept and to work out the minor problems.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Sep 19, 18 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Hire an architect ;)

Sep 19, 18 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

Thanks for your suggestions Peter.  I was planning on prototyping using existing furniture to confirm functionality.  Might be better to just bite the bullet and do it with the actual furniture.

As I stated in the first post I am an Architect (licensed and registered) which is why they came to me to do the work but thanks for the suggestion randomised.  My expertise lies a little outside of modern office/workplace space planning and design theory so I'm trying to play a little catch up as the project ramps up.  I'm looking for literature and resources to get up to speed.

Sep 19, 18 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It was a joke

Sep 20, 18 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: