Archinect
anchor

nyc - 3 Family - Adding laundry area for tenants in Cellar.

rajman

Hello All,

I am looking to add laundry area in Cellar of a 3 Family for Tenants to use. Currently the building has sprinklers in lobby and each floor as per NYC code. If placing laundry in cellar do I need to add additional sprinklers downstairs..

Thanks,

Pooja

Sep 14, 18 2:08 pm
Non Sequitur

Maybe.

Hire an architect if you want a real answer.

Sep 14, 18 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

yes.... wait, no..... wait, maybe..... 

While i try to determine the correct answer, you can peruse the NYC building code in the mean time to see if you can find the answers yourself: https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newyorkcity/Building/Building-Frameset.html

Sep 14, 18 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
rajman

Thank you for the link.

Sep 14, 18 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

No problem. I would charge you for my consulting fees but since you're so cordial. I'll let it slide this time around.

Sep 14, 18 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Dryers occasionally catch fire. What happens to your building, and the people in it, if an unattended dryer catches fire?

Sep 14, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
rajman

I notice their is a sprinkler in the cellar stairs.

Sep 14, 18 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Check NFPA 13R. Laundry Rooms are required to have sprinkler heads. You could theoretically put a washer and dryer inside of a bathroom that is under 55 square feet and get away with not putting a sprinkler head down there...

Sep 16, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: