Archinect
anchor

GC nightmare

Fendi

Hired a general Contractor. No signed contract between. (Friend)  Gave him $ to file permit and handle all issues at county level. Gave him $ to choose steel company of his choice and handle everything- complete engineered plans and get them stamped. Been since May trying to get permit. Says he did file but county lost paperwork. I have been trying to get an electronic set of engineered plans from GenSteel so I can just go file permit myself! My GC authorized plans to be released to me. I have been in contact with GenSteel. Been 4 days. They will not answer calls or give me the stamped plans. Why?  I just want my stamped plans. What do I need to do? Any advice?

Sep 7, 18 9:46 pm
( o Y o )

Error #1: Hired a friend.
Error #2: No written agreement.
Error #3: No architect.
Error #4: Impatient.
Error #5: Assuming that anyone here can sort out your situation.

If the GC is truly your friend he will take care of the situation. If not at least you will know where you stand.

Sep 7, 18 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Fendi

Thank you

Sep 8, 18 12:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

error #6: asking anonymous online forum members for help with adult decisions.

How much did you pay this friend of yours?

Sep 7, 18 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Fendi

$8500 to get things started

Sep 8, 18 12:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

daaaamn

Sep 8, 18 12:05 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Because “Gensteel” probably is providing shop drawings not an engineered building set? 

Sep 7, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Fendi

Correct. Gen Steel does provide GC with an electronic complete engineered set.

Sep 8, 18 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Are you sure your friend the GC ever actually paid for steel plans?  Or did they "lose the plans", in the same way that the county "lost the paperwork"?  I bet your GC also "lost the receipts" from paying for these things, right?

Sep 7, 18 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Fendi

I have not been able to get copy of the ACH transaction to GenSteel . Correct, Has not been able to provide receipt of check written for application fee to county.

Sep 8, 18 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

So find out what your state's limit is for small claims court and sue your friend for the $8k or whatever portion is allowed.  And are you in a state that licenses GC's? If so then report the theft of the $8k, and the not getting a signed contract, to the appropriate state board. It doesn't sound like the steel company was ever paid (and possibly never even actually contacted in the first place by this GC), so naturally they're not going to give you files.

Sep 8, 18 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Fendi

Thank you for you advice. I appreciate it. The GC is licensed. GenSteel sent me email stating a contract was signed, but still not willing to forward me any documentation or proof. (Even after email with GC authorization form). Basically I’m wondering What is appropriate way to General Steel ?

Sep 8, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

If the steel company has confirmed that there's a contract, then there are a few possibilities: 1. The most likely reason you're having difficulty is because you're not a party to that contract. The contract is between your GC and the steel company, so your GC is the only one to whom they owe drawings. They have no legal obligation to give you the drawings. Your GC would need to get the drawings from the steel company and deliver them to you. 2. It's possible the steel company hasn't been paid yet. In that case they're not going to cooperate unless either you or your GC pay them. 3. They may not have done the work yet, so are being evasive and stalling because they've got nothing to give you. 4. As someone else suggested, it's possible that your GC's contract with them was for shop drawings, not delegated engineering. You don't have a copy of the contract so you can't determine that.

Sep 8, 18 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Can I have $8500? I can get things started for you...
Sep 8, 18 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Fendi

Live and learn

Sep 8, 18 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Meep meep! Image result for wile e coyote tunnel

Sep 8, 18 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: