Archinect
anchor

''DEBATE'' School renovations

Midaz

Hi everyone!

Actually in Canada there is a big debate about schools.

There is really 2 sides of it...

1 is against because it is too expensive to renovate all the current schools and the new one. There is no statistics that prove that it helps for ADHD kids or for school dropouts... 

from the other side, there is the side that it would help create an environement that is more playful and less boring to be in, so it would fight ADHD and school dropouts... and that these 2 things are worth way more than the money spend to do it..

So I would love to have your oppinions about it! I hear a lot about this topic, and im curious about your point of views! 

Sep 7, 18 12:02 pm
Non Sequitur

Can you provide links to this big debate?  I've never heard of this before.  Sounds too much like post-rationalizing vague general new age woo to disguise one's discomfort with the contemporary open classroom / spaces you see in affluent suburbs.

Sep 7, 18 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Midaz

I hear teachers talking about it every year, there is not an official public debate, but an architect went to an interview on tv talking about it, how schools are like prisons and are not adapted for kids... then we have visited a new school built recently and in every classroom there is a square isolated room for students who have either behavioral issues OR ADHD and need more concentration, this room has glasses to watch the rest of the class so teachers can walk between the classroom and the little isolated room without loosing sight.. I will try to find articles!

Sep 7, 18 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah yes, I remember that big debate, huge debate actually, so huge and big it was unable to grasp...not even with the enormous hands of a guy like Trump, that's how big.

Anywho, everyone knows you fight ADHD with drugs, lots of drugs, and alcohol, yes alcohol too, not with architecture.

Sep 7, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Midaz

Here is one translated from google translate because it is a french article : 

1.Developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MESS), with financial support of $ 2.54 million, and with partners and stakeholders, Schola.ca will enable its users to target the architectural and design interventions most likely to support educational success and contribute to the well-being of all, in a perspective of sustainable development.

2."Our researchers in architecture, education and design will provide a digital, reliable toolbox that addresses the major renovation needs of schools. This platform will be essential to help educational decision makers design bright, user-friendly and modern learning spaces for new generations, "said Sophie D'Amours, President of Laval University. "In addition to all the people who work with students on a daily basis, educational success is achieved through schools offering an optimal environment and quality living environments. Since many schools were built decades ago, the planning of renovation or construction work must be accompanied by the desire to beautify the area and make it more welcoming and better suited to the realities of the 21st century. I am convinced that the partnership with Laval University and the School of Architecture will promote the educational success of young people. Sébastien Proulx, Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports and Minister responsible for the Capitale-Nationale region.

3.Contemporary architecture suffers from a "huge lack of communication" and without an architectural culture, students can spontaneously associate the creative concrete chosen for their school to the prison world (Laurent, 2006).

4.after parents and teachers, architecture is the third teacher. It influences the student as well as the teacher and its effects must be thought upstream to make the greatest number of students succeed. This Third Teacher approach is the basis of many current initiatives in both the overall design of the building and the elements of interior architecture (Dahlinger, 2008). School architecture also contributes to the school effect: with similar students, some schools are more conducive to academic success. Space is then part of the elements that contribute to the success of as many students as possible, as well as management, organization and human relations. To take meaning, the transmission of knowledge and socialization of students go hand in hand. All that concerns the reception, the circulation, the communication, the lodging or the restoration is today to be considered in a school building (Mazalto et al., 2008).

5. American architects and educators wonder about the durability of this space, even if most American schools are still a series of cubes connected by corridors, on the model of the factory (or workshop of Ford factories, Nair & Fielding 2005). The end of standardized models also concerns the classroom (Pourchet, 2005): it is now a unit of life that must be able to evolve according to pedagogical practices. At the same time, the work of teachers is changing too. They must have access to individual or collective workspaces.

Sep 7, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just went and read the french version on the Schola site. It all seems rather reasonable given that the Quebec stock of public schools (for our yankee readers, public schools in canada don't carry the same stigma as yours) date from the early 50s to late 70s. I could see this being a big impact in many of the smaller cities who all have very similar buildings, both in utilitarian design and age. Where is the controversy with trying to use the physical shape of the school to aid in the education process?

Sep 7, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

What's the stigma with US public schools?

Sep 7, 18 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Perhaps stigma is an incorrect term. Public schools here are good here and very few opt for private. 8-)

Sep 7, 18 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Midaz

Well public schools are good here too and it people tend to go towards public instead of private schools more and more, the problem is, since decades we have school buildings that are working, and with the ADHD crisis and other problems, now we talk about changing the way we build schools to maybe create something more appropriate for students.,, But it would cost MILLIONS to do without any proof that it is helping in any way. YES, it would be more dynamic, but would the architectural changes really do impact learning and the desire to go to school ? I doubt it badly...

Sep 8, 18 6:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: