Archinect
anchor

What should I read/study/etc so that I can get my first job in architecture?

Beshoy Adel

Good evening,

I graduated in 2016 (My certification is from Egypt so we don't have any licensing tests or anything) and since then I'd been working in graphic design and a bunch of other side jobs that are not related to architecture... Now I want to get a job in architecture (a big part of why I didn't work in architecture before was my anxiety which is now treated for the most part)

Anyway I don't know what I should focus on other than learning the software, I am learning sketchup and revit but other than that I don't know what I should read/study/watch/etc that can refresh my knowledge or give me the knowledge required to get an entry level job in architecture. Can you please tell me what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 5, 18 9:50 am
randomised

Start with rereading your old topics here with similar questions :)

Sep 5, 18 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What a mess...

Where to start? Start at the bottom with basic detailing fundamentals.  "Learning" software outside of a work environment is not really learning anyways, so don't bank on that.

Sep 5, 18 10:42 am  · 
 · 
callmejacklogan

First of all, start with all the old books which you had started reading when you first joined the architecture subject. Next if you want to study Civil Engineering then this would be a better option too.

Sep 5, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
callmejacklogan

First of all, start with all the old books which you had started reading when you first joined the architecture subject. Next if you want to study Civil Engineering then this would be a better option too. Thanks and Regards, panda helper emu4ios gbwhatsapp

Sep 7, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

"Anyway I don't know what I should focus on other than learning the software, I am learning sketchup and revit but other than that I don't know what I should read/study/watch/etc that can refresh my knowledge or give me the knowledge required to get an entry level job in architecture. Can you please tell me what should I do?"

learning software will probably not help you much. hopefully you have a decent portfolio. Brand new hires who have no professional experiences are all kind in the same group (regardless of their software knowledge). all firms work differently, even if they use the same software. 

interviews are about selling yourself. and your potential in the firm. Not whatever meager skills you have (this is especially true for young designers with little or no experience).

Sep 7, 18 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

First of all, good for you for being self aware, working on yourself and your anxiety- that is hard to do.

Work stuff: If you could take an old studio project or one of high renderings and start creating a few “real” construction document drawings from that design (slab edge details,  specifications, dimensioned elevations), a decent firm is going to look at that and say, “ok, this person has some of their basic fundamentals down- they aren’t just a “rendering” architect. Let’s bring them in for an interview.”

If in the US, take a webinar on International Building Code, ADA and then maybe Fair Housing if you want to any multi family housing work. 

Good luck!

Sep 8, 18 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: