Archinect
anchor

Cold climate vs warm climate

auninja91

Having studied in cold climate environments I feel that my degrees were mostly based on these building standards. How has anyone dealt with learning more about building in warm tropical climates? I feel like  it was only briefly covered because I studied in Michigan and Canada.  

Sep 4, 18 10:47 am
Non Sequitur

warm climate was covered in my Canadian program.  The principals are the same, just less focus on thermal bridging / heat loss and more about ventilation and sun shading.  Also, the vapour barrier goes on the outside. 8-)

Sep 4, 18 11:08 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Where else would the vapor barrier go? ~Yours truly from way south of the Mason-Dixon  

PS - why would anyone ever build a basement when your footings are only 18" below grade anyway.  That'd be so costly.

Sep 4, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

where else will I be allowed to set up my office/man cave if not in a basement?

Sep 4, 18 11:29 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

My friends all seem to have them in attics or a detached garage in the back yard. The former typically gets way too hot. I'm in a condo, so I share my man cave with toddler toys and a small bed. Maybe this basement idea isn't so bad ; )

Sep 4, 18 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't worry, my office / man cave is also filled with toddler stuff. You just can't keep that shit contained!

Sep 4, 18 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

That's true I'm starting to remember that now you've mentioned it. But over here we use brick, wood framing on leveled plots. While over these seems like they use cement block and all the houses are on pillars over a slopped terrain.

Sep 4, 18 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I think I'm the member here who designs for the coldest climate. I've learned a lot about building envelope but sometimes that can be really stifling, if I'm honest.  I agree that energy efficiency is a very good thing, but who the hell decides that R27 EFFECTIVE walls was the magic number? Why not 26 or 28? 

On the other hand, I designed a place a couple years ago with R80 walls and R100 roof, in a remote location. At least I learned something.

Sep 5, 18 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We have an on&off (mostly off) airport project in Nunavut. Is that cold enough for ya? Granted we've never reached wall assembly stage yet.

Sep 5, 18 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

no more visqueen!  canadians can use a class 1 vapor barrier.  if you don't use the metric system, no more than class 2.

Sep 5, 18 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: