Archinect
anchor

How to recover from years out of work

Architect's spouse

Hi all

I'm very concerned for my husband's career future, as the recession came at the worst time for him, leaving him out of work as an architect for many years.

In summary, he qualified as an architect overseas and worked for one year. He then came to the UK and did an architecture-related Masters at a well-recognised UK university, graduating in September 2008. He had a job lined up at a small London firm to start on graduation. As the recession kicked in over the summer of 2008, his job offer was withdrawn just before graduating.

He spent one year out of real work (doing takeaway jobs to earn an income) and then managed to get a research contract for four years at a university. He has no real interest in academic research or teaching, so it was not a great four years, but he did it just to have an income and something on his CV.

The four years finished in September 2013, and since then (five years!!) he has been trying to earn from having his own business. He has tried so many different things all related one way or another to the construction industry but nothing has worked out.

As he has only one year experience in architecture that is now over 10 years ago, and as he has been out of an employed position for five years, I am really not sure what to suggest to try to fix the situation. 

With at least 30 years left of his career lifetime, I am sure there is something we can do to salvage the situation, but would really appreciate advice or ideas.

Please note: my salary is sufficient to make us comfortable, and so ideas that require a period of retraining etc would not be impossible for us to manage financially, but we would prefer to avoid ideas that require an actual financial investment, as we have already lost a fair bit of money on the five years of failed business.

Help please!

Sep 4, 18 12:45 pm
mantaray
Over here stateside we’re hiring like crazy. If he really wants to still be an architect he should apply to entry level jobs, since you are quite luckily in a situation where his relative low-wage wouldn’t destroy your finances.

Architecture doesn’t change much in 10 years, or 100. If he explains his circuitous route (I wouldn’t even call it an absence from the industry since you say he’s been banging around construction) he should be all right with the right firm. Look for larger, more corporate places to start out with—smaller, boutique-ier firms are more concerned about personality fit with other employees and may be more thrown off by the age vs. experience level question.
Sep 4, 18 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
For context I myself had an odd work history due to the recession and it has proved no issue.
Sep 4, 18 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Have him re-frame / re-write his resume to emphasize his project management / business skills since the design part isn’t there. Also have him late down his portfolio to show 2-3 projects ONLY, maybe even 1-2 —his best student work is fine. When he gets hired, it’ll be due to his maturity and business skills—they’ll be taking a chance on his design skills in any case, so best to limit the portfolio projects you show just in case they’re not strong. Always better to leave someone wishing they’d seen more than to inadvertently show something they think is crap. The lack of direct experience is a small strike against him that can easily be overcome by showing strength in other skills; but you to need to make sure you mitigate the risk of a second strike against him.

If he feels his student work is not strong then it could be a good excercise to have him select an area of your own house that you’re thinking of renovating and draw up plans and 3d models and sketches for it. If he knows zero 3d modeling he needs to at the very least be familiar with sketchup and photoshop so in between interviewing he should do a bunch of online tutorials for those.

That ought to get him over the finish line if he’s reasonably fit in other areas (personality, follow-through, initiative, organization etc).
Sep 4, 18 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
That’s kind advice by mantaray but rather unrealistic. Architecture is and always has been slow to adapt. It is incredibly rare for outside experience to be valued much at all, corporate or others wise. The only experience that counts for architects in a hiring position is the well worn path of intern to designer to PA etc. it’s sad for individuals who were caught holding the bad mid recession, and unfortunate as the industry could do well to have some outside perspective and influence. But that’s the way it continues to be.
Sep 4, 18 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I am going to play therapist/counselor now, sorry about that.

Firstly, why are you writing on behalf of your husband? Why couldn't he be asking these questions? That says a lot. i.e. Maybe he does not want to pursue this line of work at all, and you are urging him to? It is indeed very kind of you to be so considerate, but if he doesn't want to be in the profession, he shouldn't be. 

Without knowing a 100% that one wants to do it, there is absolutely no point of being in this business. There are opportunities stateside or in europe, but they would be at a much junior position.

Sep 4, 18 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

The booming market now just means the end is that much closer. Plus he's now 10 years behind recent grads and out of the loop and circulation. Move on and don't look back. Find something enjoyable - charity work, labor (tradesmen never go hungry), etc. - and have a good life. Great pride and satisfaction can be found in a multitude of ways. 

Endlessly chasing a career that isn't working is a fool's errand and an exercise in frustration. Especially one like architecture. 

Sep 4, 18 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the end of what, exactly, is much closer?

Sep 5, 18 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Architect's spouse

Thanks for the comments all. 

He really does not mind what he does as long as it is some form of professional position that brings home some form of income. Any ideas where work is in high demand would be great, as long as it does not require going back to Uni for a different degree!

Thank you for the counselling SameOldDoctor - I am writing because I want to help. He is sick of not having anything proper to do all day. The kids are old enough to notice that dad seems to be at home a fair amount compared to mum being at work all day. I just want to see if there are other options we have missed.

Sep 5, 18 2:27 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

If he was a stay at home dad, then that's an excellent thing to include in a resume. It excuses the employment gap considerably. Other than that start applying for entry positions everywhere. Is he not doing that right now?

Sep 5, 18 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: