Archinect
anchor

Photographer Fees

ShakeyDeal

What is typical ballpark fees paid to architectural photographers? I’ve seen $5,000 per session for top tier, but what about amateur/freelance services? 

Aug 27, 18 11:22 pm
Rusty!

$8k-$12k for a full day shoot on larger projects that firm is really proud of and wants to include in marketing materials. Range depends on complexity of project and how many money shots you think there are. 

"but what about amateur/freelance services?"

$0. Not worth the effort. This is not a shotgun wedding. You pay a qualified professional to provide professional service. Architects of all people understand this. 

Aug 28, 18 9:09 am  · 
 · 
3tk

This is about right - somewhat dependent on region, but in general the pool of experienced photographers is limited. One issue with less experienced people is the time needed for the shoot and editing, which inevitably increases the cost back near an experienced photographer.

Aug 28, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

It takes weeks if not months to get back the full set of processed proofs. I have seen less expensive photographers do work on less important projects (ones you know are not your finest design output) and final photos are noticeably inferior to best guys.

Aug 28, 18 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

I've come across a lot of firms that always hire a summer intern or recent architecture grad who has good photography skills, and send that person to photograph that year's backlog of projects for which they're too cheap to hire a professional photographer.  That way they get a willing entry level designer/drafter who doubles as a photographer, and the whole deal costs them about the same in salary and benefits for the summer as what they would have paid a photographer for 2 or 3 project shoots. 

Aug 28, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

I’m also seeing photographers charging a flat low fee to do the shoot ($200) combined with a per image fee. The architect would essentially just buy the images he/she likes from the shoot.

Seems like a low risk option. Anyone else have this experience?

Aug 29, 18 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: