Archinect
anchor

US Architects outside the US

eastcoast

I'm just curious about the rules and regulations for working professionally across borders. If the US doesn't recognize foreign architecture licenses then how do so many people get to have multiple offices in the US or is it just another person working under that firm? If one isn't licensed and is actively pursuing a license is it possible to work for an American Firm located in another country and have that experience count towards licensure? I've read the guidelines but I was just wondering as a general idea. I know in aspects like engineering people do co-ops abroad for a semester and this is generally very well received experience before graduating because it's a whole new vantage point for the field but what about architecture? It seems like architecture itself is such a cultural discipline and 75 percent what you learn in design school is history and concept using architecture from other cultures as precedent, so if NCARB doesn't recognize experience from foreign locations then what is the point? At the end of the day it really seems that any reciprocal locating say for example in europe would only work after being pretty far along as a license holder and even then at that point your too invested to move somewhere else. Does anyone have any ideas about architecture profession outside the US? 

Aug 27, 18 6:43 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: