Archinect
anchor

Your favorite or the most underrated city?

myalynngrimm

I'm from the St. Louis area and have traveled much of the area and surrounding states, the Southern US and the East/Northeast and crossed the border to Canada at Niagara Falls but there are so many places I haven't been, or been well. Looking back, some of the places I've been I just whizzed through or didn't explore much beyond the main streets. I'm living in Buffalo, NY now because Greyhound had messed my bus ticket up on my way to Vermont, and I got stuck in Buffalo for a day and a half. After 2 months in Vermont I decided to move to Buffalo for multiple reasons - one of them being the beautiful neighborhoods, it's the only city I've been to where I've found the downtown to be one of the less interesting parts of the city. Not because the downtown is ugly, but because the neighborhoods have so much character and variety between neighborhoods but a sort of comforting feeling of similarity within them. They aren't just eclectic mix mashes of styles everywhere but they also aren't cookie cutter developments.

Definitely an underrated city in my opinion, I've been here for 11 months now and I love it; although, I do want to travel more and experience different architectural styles in different cities and towns. To me, there's a huge difference between seeing pictures of architecture and actually experiencing it - so anywhere in the world, where would you recommend traveling to experience the architecture?

Aug 26, 18 9:23 pm
Non Sequitur

Buffalo exists for it's awesome tailgate parties when the Bills play.  Besides that... not sure I've ever heard anyone speak fondly of that place.

Aug 26, 18 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I would guess there are lots of beautiful old homes from when the city was prosperous that are now affordable because things have fallen on hard times. Biggest problem would be steady employment and miserable winters.

Aug 26, 18 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

Good guess geezertect, there are a ton of beautiful old houses here. Even poorer neighorhoods are decent to look at, when I first moved here I was often surprised to find out that a certain area was a 'bad neighborhood.' In St. Louis, it's easy to tell, here the houses age well and on top of that people tend to paint them uniquely so that adds to their character even when they're a bit run-down. Many parts of the city seem like they'd be in a more tropical climate based of the way the houses are painted, but the colors aren't usually too gaudy or over-bearing - they're really nice to look at

Aug 29, 18 1:28 am  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

Non Sequitur, I never heard it either. I think the main reasons for this are that people generally know 5 things about Buffalo. 1) The Bills are from here 2) Niagara Falls are near here (that's the only reason they pass through. I don't think out-of-state tourism is very big, it's more of a stepping stone to the falls) 3) It used to be an industrial city 4) It's not NYC (and therefore not as good) 5) Gets a lot of snow

Aug 29, 18 1:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Correct, although the american side of Niagara is nothing compared to the Canadian one. 8-)

Aug 29, 18 8:00 am  · 
 · 

I think Chicago is underrated, we are still reasonably affordable to live in, the transit works well, we have very nice parks and cultural institutions.  The food (non tourist giant pizza things) is good and affordable. People are very enthusiastic about Chicago's architectural heritage. And we have more stand up comedy than you can shake a stick at. 

Over and OUT

Peter N

Aug 27, 18 8:01 am  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

I've been to Chicago a few times, even stayed in Riverside (yes I know it's a suburb but it's only a 22 drive from downtown) for two weeks but I don't have a huge affinity for the place. What do you think I'm missing out on? I'll admit, even though I've been there a few times, I've basically only been downtown and the area in and around Riversdale. The downtown feels somewhat sterile or detached to me. What are your opinions about downtown Chicago, and then downtown Chicago vs other cities you enjoy?

Aug 29, 18 1:46 am  · 
 · 
BR.TN

downtown Chicago is second to Manhattan for the best place to live in an urban environment within the USA. Like NYC, Chicago is "the" prototypical city and it exemplifies what urban living should be, or hopes to be, in all aspects of the country. I disagree with Peter saying its underrated - people who live in NYC, LA, Atlanta, and SF really do like Chicago. Everyone knows Chicago's great, just like everyone knows New York is great.

Aug 29, 18 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
molten

Philadelphia is overrated, it has a decent cultural scene, great restaurants, nice parks (Fairmount Park, Morris Arboretum, etc) and a decent (but not great) transportation system. It's also the most affordable large city in the Northeast which makes it possible for a 20-something to even consider buying a house. 

Of course the city has lots of issues like high poverty, absurd levels of corruption in city government and high business taxes that stifle development. But the positives outweigh the negatives IMO. 

Aug 27, 18 10:12 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Then why is it overrated?

Aug 27, 18 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
molten

oops...Freudian slip. *underrated*

Aug 28, 18 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

Philly isn't too far from here, I've been thinking about visiting sometime soon. What are the places you'd recommend I visit (specific buildings, neighborhoods, or even bridges)?

Aug 29, 18 1:49 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square area, even parts of south Philly. I went there in July for a few days. I like it.  Stay out of north Philly and don't go to Camden, from what I've heard.

Aug 29, 18 7:08 am  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

Thanks, hopefully I can visit the city soon!

Aug 29, 18 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

downtown Detroit went from under-rated to over-rated in about 3 years.  in contrast the outskirts of the city are worse than ever.  Unbelievable poverty with little hope.  

Aug 27, 18 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

I went to Detroit for the first time a couple months ago and was pleasantly surprised. Downtown was pretty nice, although; sadly, there were still quite a few vacant high rises. I didn't venture out into the outskirts much. The area I did go to, I don't know the name of but was kind of a typical Midwestern
middle-class suburb

Aug 29, 18 1:54 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I like Detroit a lot. Frankly, they know they have problems and people are working and investing to do something about them. A lot of cities in the USA are in denial when it comes to poverty, de-industrialization, and de-population.

Aug 29, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I disagree on overrated comment. Yes Detroit has come a long way since I’ve lived there... and there is a long way to go still. It’s one of the greatest comeback cities in the decade that’s for sure. A lot of people complain about outside Detroit yes there is poverty. This will change, you are seeing manufacturing coming back, jobs coming back. People want the city to take a pill and it be a magical place to live. With the Ford purchase of the train station you see his interest and confidence of investment in Detroit which will spill over to neighbourhoods, etc. It’s not there yet, and Detroit does still have its problems but it’s a work in progress and will only get better.

Aug 29, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I always liked Minneapolis. Good mixture of architecture, with it having been a relatively well off city for a long time.  Plenty of art/food/museums/music and a nice system of parks.  Winters are harsh, but the few warm months are great.  New Orleans is a great place to visit, though I personally can't do the summers there.

Aug 28, 18 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

I haven't been to either of those places and would love to explore both. Do you have recommendations in the cities that are architecturally interesting? Certain neighborhoods, buildings, etc

Aug 29, 18 1:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Don't come to Minneapolis; we're full of stupid.

Aug 29, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

Minneapolitans: Say Shh about your city! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fce9VAzA0os

Aug 29, 18 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

I'm here in Omaha.  I know that most consider it to be 'fly-over' country, but there's more here than just Warren Buffet.  We're home to some of the largest A+E firms in the world. Omaha has a fantastic food culture--in fact, many coastal concepts make a point to set-up shop here before going national.  Great art and music scene as well.  World-class zoo.  

Low unemployment and decent wages.  We weathered the economic shit-storm far better than either coast.  There's a fair amount of decent architecture here too.  It's also an easy drive to other midwest towns for a quick change of scenery.  We also have all four seasons--which may appeal to some and may turn off others.

Aug 28, 18 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"many coastal concepts make a point to set-up shop here before going national." I remember Phoenix AZ used to be used as a testing market for all kinds of shit because the city was so bland and lacking in culture, it was a perfect litmus test for corporations trying anything even remotely interesting. Did that whole industry move to Omaha since?

Aug 28, 18 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Peoria is the original testing ground. "Will it play in Peoria?"

Aug 28, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think Omaha is underrated too. I like it. Except the big red.

Aug 28, 18 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

I've never been to Omaha, I may have to visit! I haven't heard it talked about much, and being from the Midwest - I'd like to find more 'hidden gems' there

Aug 29, 18 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Rapid City, SD is a great city too.

Aug 29, 18 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Flagstaff, AZ is nice. So is Durango and Fort Collins, CO. Fayetteville, AR. Chattanooga. 

Aug 28, 18 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Unfortunately, Durango and FC are getting pricey. Colorado in general is growing too fast and losing its laid back character.

Aug 29, 18 7:17 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I live here and literally hear everyday "I just moved here..." Sometimes many times a day.

Aug 29, 18 8:30 am  · 
 · 
myalynngrimm

Thank you, this is actually my first time hearing of Durango!

Aug 29, 18 2:01 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kansas City. 

Aug 29, 18 7:18 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

KC is, perhaps, the best underrated city in the midwest. It's big enough to support pro-sports teams and fine arts, but not too big to feel overwhelming. And don't get me started on the bbq. Some high profile architects have done some really nice work there over the last 10 years.

Aug 29, 18 10:33 am  · 
 · 
BR.TN

You're probably right

Aug 29, 18 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Rotterdam!

Aug 29, 18 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
randomised
Koolhaas, who lives in a humdrum apartment tower overlooking the Meuse River, finds the city “completely nondescript,” and greatly prefers it to the “repulsive quaintness and irritating canals” of Amsterdam, his home town. [...] As with most of Koolhaas’s oppositional postures, his calculated embrace of Rotterdam, which is the commercial center of the Netherlands, both isolates and spotlights him. Whereas his European rivals huddle together in Paris and London, Koolhaas stands alone. “I am Rotterdam’s most important citizen,” he said with mock hauteur.[...]“It is a testament to globalization. It is banal, it affords no pleasure, it could be anywhere.” He smiled. “There are no distractions here.” source:https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/03/14/intelligent-design
Aug 31, 18 9:21 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Oakland Ca

Great architecture from 1900 - 1935 - Areas around Grand Lake

Aug 29, 18 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Pittsburgh for some interesting and overlooked architecture like the Cathedral of Learning and the Alcoa Building. Let's not forget the PPG building, and some of the 1st Corten buildings built. The Igloo, was one of the first multi-purpose facilities to have a retractable roof (granted, it only opened a few times, the last being for a Jean Claude Van Damme Movie).

Then there's the industrial history of the mills which were awesome to look into from the highway before they were torn down. Carrie Furnace is still up and the mills in Braddock are still operational (for good and bad). 

(edit)-Let's not forget the park system and some of the neighborhoods like Oakland and Squirrel Hill to the east of the down top. (end edit)

And where else is there a hot restaurant scene paired with joints that pile everything on top of a burger- including the fries- to make life easier for trucker drivers?

Aug 29, 18 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

City of Lviv. Underrated, almost unknown in the West. Located in Ukraine, historic region of Galicia. The old city centre is an amazing example of Habsburg architecture - Street View link. and another link

Aug 30, 18 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoast

Not really in the area or the US but I think Vancouver, BC is pretty underrated. For its size, its not mentioned very often in the southeast where I live. It's so urban but also so close to hiking and nature. I feel like there aren't many cities that are like it. It's like you can go one hour in any direction and be in a totally different place. It does have fairly odd architecture in some aspects since its a relatively new city but it is growing and developing. 

Aug 30, 18 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

while I don't agree with irrigate eveything and growing grass in the desert... palm springs is pretty fuckin' cool. Big fan boy of mid mod... see that other thread... plus the salton sea is damn surreal. 

Sep 2, 18 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

1. Charleston, SC

2. Savannah, GA

New Orleans was damaged physically but pretty much did itself in with its crime rate. San Francisco used to be, hands down, the most beautiful city in the country but its problems are legion.

Sep 2, 18 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Portland has some great old buildings and great new buildings. Seattle is also close enough that you could make a long day trip out of it. Or vice versa
Sep 3, 18 12:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: