Archinect
anchor

Hesitant to undertake work for difficult family clients. Pros/Cons?

athensarch

Since I became licensed several family members have asked me to design homes for them. I'm hesitant to do so. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's had this happen to them.

1. I haven't done any residential work in a decade and don't see myself working in that market in the future. I'm unfamiliar with the IRC and they live in a different state (Florida) with different code concerns (Hurricanes) than where I live.

2. None of them have worked with an architect before and have unrealistic expectations about fees and/or scope of services. I think most of them would be difficult clients. Two of them are very indecisive.

If you were me, would you see any value in this undertaking? One argument in favor would be to add to a portfolio for future employment prospects. I'm not convinced it would be relevant unless someone wants to see independent work, regardless of what type of work.

What do you think?

Aug 18, 18 5:53 pm
geezertect

None of them have worked with an architect before and have unrealistic expectations about fees and/or scope of services. I think most of them would be difficult clients. Two of them are very indecisive

You just answered your question.

Aug 18, 18 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Run.  

Run fast, run far, and do not stop running until these relatives** have landed another victim.  Then you can take time to pity their architect, and also enjoy not having to dread (any more than usual) the next time you see them.

** A descriptive, negative-tinged synonym for 'family' used to great effect by comedians for generations.

Aug 18, 18 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

In fact, fake your own death if you have to. 

Even if those involved are nice and reasonable, the arrangement is fraught with potential problems.

Aug 18, 18 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good advice. Fake your own death and let the relatives hire one of your architect friends during the reception following your funeral. Win-win for everyone.

Aug 18, 18 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"So sorry for your loss; s/he and I were very close. I do houses; here's my card."

Aug 18, 18 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
home_alone

Having been down this road before I now have a strict rule never to work with family or close friends. Generally they want all of your time and expect a discount. It's great / essential at the beginning of your career but I would avoid it all costs. It's just too much money, too close to home.

Recently I turned down a large project for my brother and instead had him hire me as an hourly consultant to act as owner's rep rather than architect. It's been great.

Aug 18, 18 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
athensarch

It's strange but comforting to know it's not just me experiencing this. How essential to progressing your career was the work you did for family?
One of the three actually has design preferences similar to my own and a builders background. They're all immediate family though, so there would be hurt feelings if I only did work for one.

Looks like I answered my own question.

Aug 18, 18 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

stay as far away from that as you can in every way possible...

Aug 18, 18 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
proto
“The friends and family rate is double!”
Aug 20, 18 12:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You will either loose money or will have a screwed up relationship with your family, the choice is yours.

Aug 20, 18 2:50 am  · 
 · 

You will either loose money AND have a screwed up relationship with your family.

There, fixed it for you.

Aug 20, 18 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ask me when the last time my brother spoke to me. It was after I drew a plan for his office that he used, but refused to pay (heavily discounted) for.

Aug 20, 18 9:37 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Thanks for the correction, much more accurate now.

Aug 20, 18 10:10 am  · 
 · 
poop876

NEVER work for family!

Aug 20, 18 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

In the last year I've done several project for family and close friends, and also started a new business with my brother, which we are now in the process of shutting down. Short version: there are exceptions, but in general, it's much easier to not work for family (or close friends).

If you can't avoid it, treat them just like any client, with full service and full price. After years of giving a discounted hourly rate, my new approach is to give a set number of hours for free--the equivalent of one or two days' work. Then charge full price. 

Aug 20, 18 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: