Archinect
anchor

Interior architecture vs architecture

Archicatman

I am considering between the two. My maths is quite behind I've been out of school for a while I am interested in design and using my imagination and not at all interested in crunching numbers. I don't want to limit myself to just the interior of buildings. If I graduate with a Bachelor of arts in interior architecture would that be sufficient to do a Masters of architecture. Personally I just don't have the focus for math to me it is rote learning equations I don't understand and substituting the way it is taught I need to have an understanding of what everything means not be a robot.

Aug 14, 18 7:16 pm
Non Sequitur
Maybe, depends on many things. For one, int des is dead simple compared to architecture education wise but even there maths are rather basic for both. No one is “crunching numbers aimously but there is also no pride in not knowing your math.

Putting buildings together is far more difficult than sorting out finishes and placing cubicles.
Aug 14, 18 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Archicatman

Could anyone give some examples of maths problems you might face and how you'd solve them?

Can you do a Masters in architecture with a Bachelor of arts in interior architecture? 

Aug 14, 18 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
spacefragments

Ratio, proportion, cadence, symmetry, scale, parallax.. a lot of ideas in Architecture is deeply rooted in Mathematics (Palladio and Colin Rowe) so its difficult to divorce Math and Architecture especially with the emergence of computational design.

Aug 15, 18 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Arthur k

I agree with spacefragments, architectural designing depends on Maths, so it is essential to understand computational designing along with Maths.    

Dec 20, 18 6:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No, it’s not.

Dec 20, 18 7:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: