Archinect
anchor

M.Arch II Portfolio... Help!

Zhypronite282

After working for about a year I’ve decided to apply to grad school, specifically M.Arch II programs. I’m an Asian American female, graduated with a B.Arch from Pratt Institute with a 3.48 gpa, and I’m currently studying for the GRE. My gpa concerns me a bit because I got a C in one design studio during my sophomore year (personal/ family issues), however I’ve made sure since then to keep my grades up, will this severely affect my chances? 

I plan to apply to Harvard GSD, Columbia GSAPP, UPenn, UC Berkeley, U Wash, and maybe Yale SOA if I have the time. As the portfolio is the most crucial aspect of the application process, it would be great to receive critical feedback in regards to how I can improve my work to make it as strong as possible. Looking back at my past projects, I feel completely inadequate compared to other applicants whose portfolios I have seen online. I’m curating my portfolio from scratch, and my current works can be viewed here: https://j-y-e.weebly.com

I know it’s a bit weak, especially my thesis project, but sadly it’s my current starting point. Please help, any feedback is greatly appreciated! Which projects/ drawings do you guys think are the strongest? Am I missing any critical components? What would you guys like to see more of? I’m currently adding more diagrams, and improving my drawings in terms of graphic representation.

Aug 8, 18 12:05 pm
Anon_grad2.0

Citta Nuova and Annex are my favorite projects, but where are your DRAWINGS!!!

Was there not any development/process/diagram drawings for these two projects. If not, make them NOW. The good news is that you have until December to work on them. 

I really like the  diagrams with blue/yellow overlays in your “extras” category. Where these for any particular project?

Aug 8, 18 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Thank you for the feedback, it’s extremely helpful! I 100% agree with you that I need more diagrams, and I’m currently in the process of creating more.

Aug 8, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Also I did those extra drawings for a software class haha

Aug 8, 18 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

creating diagrams "after the fact" is not the same as process sketches.

Aug 8, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

needs more dirty concept drawings showing how the projects developed.  

Aug 8, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

Exactly. You have a nice variety of work but it all focuses on the final product. As important as final images are, i think the process, "how you got there", definitely needs to be shown.

Also, don't worry about that one C.  It won't matter much if you have a stellar portfolio.

Aug 9, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The schools you're targeting are all big on hammering into students to "design in section!!!"  so it's not ideal that the very first project in the list starts with all those classically-organized plan-with-unfolded-elevation images. Not at all a judgment on you or the work, but I'm a little surprised you got away with those drawings at Pratt!  Start with your best sections.  I agree with others that more process work is essential.  If you have any photos of completed or in-construction real buildings from your professional work that would also be a very good thing to include - though of course you'll want to note exactly what your role was in those projects.

One low grade, even in a studio, is not likely to have an impact on your candidacy.  In your case I wouldn't recommend explaining it at all, as that will only call more attention to it, and it was in an early year and you improved and stayed there afterward.  3.48 is good for architecture school candidates - particularly from a design school, as these are usually understood to have far fewer students in the > 3.5 GPA ranks.

Aug 8, 18 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Thanks for the reply, I greatly appreciate it! It’s a relief to hear that one bad grade won’t derail me. Again, I completely agree that I’m in dire need of more diagrammatic drawings and sections! I plan on posting again once I get those done and a rough portfo
lio layout set up.

Aug 8, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: