Archinect
anchor

garage doors

makingspace

most people who own a single family residence with an attached garage enter their homes through the garage.  

so why doesn't someone design a garage door as the grand special threshold to their home?  

basically your theshold into your home is pulling up into a space clutter with junk, smells slightly like fuel and then entering through an undecorated door, often a cheap one, into a laundry room or some hallway connecting you to the rest of the house.  

totally undignified.  

any case studies of a garage designed as entryway?  

Aug 7, 18 11:04 am
geezertect

Porte cocheres are basically grand entrances via a fancy carport.  As for enclosed garages, you will always be looking at the ass end of an automobile.  And any excess space will inevitably fill up with shit and be unattractive.

Frank Lloyd Wright was one of the few architects who actually loved cars (him and me).  Look at some of his houses for designs that embrace the car rather than fight it.

Aug 7, 18 11:29 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

still thinking too small

Aug 7, 18 12:09 pm  · 
2  · 
thatsthat

Villa Savoye - Corb designed the ground floor (and the approach to the house) so that a car could enter and park, then turn to exit.  From there, I believe you go up some stairs to the living quarters.  Also it has a matching mini-savoye guard shack.

Aug 7, 18 12:10 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Sorry, thatsthat.  Clearly primos garage doors beats out the International Style.

Glass, round entrance - Villa Savoye | Monceau | Flickr

It's no contest, am I right?

Aug 19, 20 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I see the ugly garage-door ad got yanked. Good.

Aug 20, 20 2:18 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

This one is kinda cool. It's all copper. The right 25% or so of the paneling is the front entry door that is hinged and pivots open, while the rest is an overhead garage door that lifts up. 

Aug 19, 20 11:53 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

I friggin' love it. The whole damned house! Thanks for posting this.

Aug 19, 20 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

https://hehnpohl.de/haus-am-buddenturm Have a look here for more pictures. Really wish I could find photos of the door being opened, but you'll have to watch this video in german: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiL7CGt7EFw&t=95s

Aug 20, 20 1:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: