Archinect
anchor

Business Undergrad to Architecture?

mercuryingatorade

Hi! I am an undergrad student currently studying international business and minoring in art history. I am in somewhat of an awkward position now as I am more than halfway done with my bachelor's degree and just realizing (or decided on) my interest for architecture. My dad is an architect so I grew up reading and discussing architecture books with him, but he kind of discouraged me from following his path because he "didn't want a girl to have to suffer too much in a career." So I ended up picking a "safer" major but I always knew I didn't really care much for it. 

This summer I finally decided that I want to pursue architecture. But if I were to apply to transfer to architecture at my school I'd have to wait another year and by then I'd be pretty much done with my commerce degree. 

I have been looking at masters programs in US colleges that are designed for people without a background in architecture at the undergraduate level and while this is encouraging, I can't help but feel insecure that my lack of background will prove to be an issue in applications/beyond. Should I first go for a second bachelor's degree/transfer out of my current program? Or should I finish my business degree and apply for M Arch?

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions! Thanks so much in advance!

Aug 3, 18 12:32 pm
thatsthat

It sounds like you are very far along in your current degree.  Graduate with your business degree and pursue an MArch.  If you have room in your schedule before you graduate, see if you can take some classes that will help you begin to develop a portfolio - like painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.  Your lack of background will have no bearing on your application if you show a good portfolio and a good essay.  No one says you have to do an MArch right away.  You could take a year to get a job in a firm - maybe more on the business side since that is the degree you have currently - and take a class or two at a local community college to continue to develop a portfolio.

You never know how your business degree may help you later in landing a job.

Aug 3, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
mercuryingatorade

I will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you so much! (-:

Aug 5, 18 2:10 am  · 
 · 
zzzbk77

I was studying commerce when I applied to an architecture school and I got accepted. It doesn't matter what your background is. As long as you keep your gpa up and create a nice portfolio then you are good. 

Finishing your commerce degree and taking the masters or transferring to a bachelors in architecture is completely up to you. My advice is to take the time and effort to create a great portfolio as this is the most important factor for admissions.

Aug 3, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
mercuryingatorade

Thank you for the advice!! Reassuring to hear about your experience (:

Aug 6, 18 1:51 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Also you can do the summer architecture program at Harvard or one of the other schools 9lots of them now) to prep for your M.arch, this will help you build up a great portfolio, meet some professors and get a sense of what the next 3.5 years will be like.

http://designdiscovery.gsd.har...

Aug 4, 18 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
mercuryingatorade

Thank you so much, I'll definitely apply for next summer!!

Aug 5, 18 2:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: