Archinect
anchor

Overseas architect applying to work in the UK/Ireland

letzte rose

I found myself on the forum while trying to research ways to land a job in the UK/Ireland as a non-EEA national and couldn't find anyone in the exact position I am so I thought I'd throw the question into the ether and get some advice. 

I'll be graduating from an Australian MArch end of this year and being quite confident of my capabilities, I was optimistically planning on getting a job in either the UK/Ireland by the end of the year. That is until I started looking at listings and realised most firms don't want to hire people who don't already have permits, especially for a fresh grad.

Now I'm not Australian either, so I can't opt for any of the youth mobility visas. I do have a willing work sponsor in Melbourne for when I graduate, so my plan is to work for a couple of years in Australia after graduation and then try my luck with a beefier portfolio at UK/Irish firms. Does that sound like the route with most likelihood of success? Will getting registered in Australia boost my chances as well? (It is min. 2 years work experience in Aus too but I would try for 3 personally.) Does anyone know if Ireland would be much easier to land a job in than the UK in the current climate? Ireland has a simpler work permit process from what I've gathered but I'm not sure about their openness to foreign architects so much. 

Welcome all feedback! Thanks

Jul 31, 18 9:48 pm
Bench

In the current climate, you are unable to work in the UK without a YMS tier-5 visa. This is because the tier-2 skilled worker visa is over-subscribed and unattainable to architects for 8-months running now; this is unlikely to change in the near future and there is absolutely nothing you can do. Even if a firm is willing to sponsor you, the home office will deny the visa.

Ireland is difficult. While there are some larger firms, it seems like the market is small due in part to a proximity and saturation with the UK. There aren't too many firms chasing larger international projects in other countries, unlike many other western EU firms - leaving an inherently smaller market of work to pursue. As well, while the economy looks really promising there, the effects of an overtly heavy burden from the recession are still there. Ireland was one of the absolutely worst hit countries in the EU. The depth of it takes a long time to get out of.

If you require a work sponsor just to stay in Aus, and already have one lined up, I would certainly go for that. Let Brexit blow over, its not a great time to be in the UK with the uncertainty. A lot of work may also move out of London to other major capitals in the mainland (think Paris / Berlin / Amsterdam / Dublin) given the uncertainty. Ireland will get more and more attractive, year after year, as the economy ramps up. In particular, if you can finish licensing in Aus, commuting the registration (while not simple, nor easy) would definitely have less obstacles than doing so from scratch with an M.Arch.

I speak from experience.

Aug 1, 18 9:30 am  · 
 · 
letzte rose

Bench, thanks for the reply! I thought that might be the case with the UK visa - I had been following the news and they had recently taken out doctors and nurses from the same restricted group of tier-2 visas but it seems like the salary requirement is slow to decrease. Regardless, what you suggest seems like the most rational course of action. I guess I have to be content with the long, lovely summers and mild winters we get here!

Aug 20, 18 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Coliebee

Bench, is this still the case? Where would I go to find out more about architects not being accepted under tier 2? This is the first I’ve heard of it. I’ve been following the professional qualifications bill which would potentially allow for license reciprocity, but that wouldn’t make a difference if I couldn’t get the visa. Thanks in advance 

Apr 22, 22 4:15 am  · 
 · 
samjessie

Buddy, don’t waste your time looking for jobs in Ireland unless you have an Irish passport or married to an Irish citizen. The visa process is so damn slow or nearly impossible to get one. You might find a job via recommendation, that is again if you are lucky to find one. Also, Ireland’s cost of living is so high. You will end up paying for everything for rent and food. Zero savings. Most Irish architects migrate to Australia and canada due to the cost of living. Moreover, you can’t work as an architect in Ireland after an M.arch degree in Australia. You will have to clear the Irish licenses/ get registered as an Irish architect in Ireland after working 2 years under an Irish registered architect.  Uk also has the same problem. I believe Ireland is more difficult due to visa restrictions. Most companies do not sponsor nor do they give a job offer easily.  It’s a long process to qualify as an architect in Ireland despite your overseas Australian education. My advice would be for you to stay and work in Australia. The cost of living is much cheaper compared to Europe, especially in Ireland and UK. 

Jul 22, 22 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
wafiknaasrijhr

Hello, I have also been wondering the same as I am a non EU/UK licenced Architect since two years. Is the situation better now after they announced the Critical Skill Program? It actually includes Architects on their list. Thanks in advance.

Oct 29, 22 5:01 am  · 
 · 
samjessie

Well in order to access critical skills visa (ireland), you should have cleared the Irish licence (even people from UK have to clear Irish license now because of brexit). It specifically says you need to be a registered architect in ireland after two years of work experience + clear all exams in the irish university to apply for critical skills program (it's not like canada. In canada  you can access the job market. In Ireland, they dont have that option.). So that rules out for many people abroad especially non-EU. Even though, online websites it says architects are in need, there are actually very few jobs in Ireland because of the EU access/applicants from many EU countries. So for non-EU, its difficult to get a job unless you do a masters + clear license exams+ 2 years work experience. Then you will qualify to work as an architect in Ireland.  Also, the cost of living is so high in Ireland, especially Dublin. you'll end up paying everything on rent and food with zero savings.

Oct 29, 22 8:16 am  · 
 · 
wafiknaasrijhr

Thanks for the comment. I'll just do my best and then if things don't go well maybe I'll change the location then. But until now what you say or what I say remains assumptions and you can't really know until you go through all the way. Anyway I'll keep you updated when I get to the end of the tunnel. 

Oct 30, 22 3:39 am  · 
 · 
samjessie

Not assumptions buddy. I went through this. I lived in Ireland for over 5 years. So I do have a first-hand knowledge about this. You can google too, it will say the same thing. I can compare the two countries (between Ireland and AUS), if I had continued in Ireland, even after 20 years, i wouldnt be able to buy even a house. In Aus, I was able to buy it in less than 2 years. Its upto to you to take the advice. I was highlighting it because I know it was a mistake because I didnt have someone to advice. Looks like you are already in Ireland, so enjoy the beautiful country and the rest is upto you :)

Oct 30, 22 6:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: