Archinect
anchor

Recommendations for hurricane impact rated doors with minimal sight line obstructions?

Finjohn

I have been told that by architects and window/door dealers, especially in FL and the Caribbean, that what has been in great demand for years now is Hurricane rated Doors or Windows that can have large panels yet have the most narrow sight line obstructions possible.  Most impact rated doors tend to have thick stiles, frames and rails causing view obstructions. The company I work for (won't mention the name as I'm not trying to plug them) is launching a new impact rated door with stiles that are only 15/16" wide. So the view obstruction is extremely minimal. The first ones will be installed in Albany, Nassau, Bahamas this fall and will have panels for this job up to 5'x 13'. I was told that we are the first and only manufacturer to come up with this unique design. Yet I came across another company online called Faour Glass Technologies based in FL that has hurricane rated frameless door products. I'm curious if there are other manufacturers that make similar products and figured that many of the architects here would know.

If a client came to you asking for a high end hurricane rated sliding door system that has very 'minimalistitc' sight line obstructions with a "Barefoot Friendly" track/threshold which manufacturers would you recommend? 

Jul 31, 18 6:59 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: