Archinect
anchor

3 years masters in architecture worth it?

dango

Hi guys, 

So I just graduated with a degree in interior architecture and had been planning to pursue my masters in architecture which originally in my school should be two years in total. Though I later found out that because I studied interior architecture and not pure architecture I’d have to take an extra year to study some extra science courses. I’m kind of confused now and I’m stuck wondering if a 3 year masters in architecture would be worth it or if I should research other things that would take less time and money to study. I would really appreciate your opinions and insights on this.

Thanks!

Jul 23, 18 1:57 pm
eeayeeayo

It depends on what you want to do.  If you want to be an architect, then an NAAB-accredited degree typically takes 3 to 3.5 years for someone without a professional undergrad degree.  There are some schools that might give you 1 or 2 semesters of advanced standing with your pre-professional architecture-related degree, if your interior architecture program had at least 3 full years of studio courses - but it will depend on the school. 

Without an NAAB-accredited degree, if you want to be a licensed architect you'll be stuck in states that allow that without a professional degree (there are still at least 15 states that do allow it - but it usually requires more years of professional experience, after graduation).   This can limit you if you later want to move from place to place.  Somebody will probably come along and tell you there are ways to get around that, and it's true that some of those states will accept a "Broadly Experienced Architect" certification in lieu of a professional degree, but that requires getting licensed in at least one state, then working for 6-10 years (depending on your education), and then going through an assessment that averages 2 years and $8000 - and in the end there are still several states that won't accept that workaround.  So... if you want to be a licensed architect and want the advantage of mobility with your license, then I'd say yes, the 3 year degree is worth it.  Also, an "interior architecture" program is usually light on structures, building materials, building systems (such as HVAC, plumbing, electrical, elevators, acoustics...) so there's that value to the additional education.

But, if you want to be an interior designer, or if you do not care about ever getting licensed as an architect, then no, it's probably not worth more school.  You'd be better off jumping into the professional world and using those three years of earning potential and experience.  In all but three states interior designers do not need to be licensed (though a lot of others have optional registrations and certifications for them - for which your education + some experience will qualify you to take the NCIDQ exam.) 

Jul 23, 18 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
dango

eeayeeayo 

Thank you so much for your answer! I really appreciate it.

Jul 23, 18 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

You may want to consider taking a year between undergrad and grad just to try to get some work experience, if you don't have any already.  Try to get a job in a firm and see where it takes you.  If you find the job interesting and somewhere that you'd like to be, then go after an MArch.  If you find that you can get a job with just the degree you have, and you have upward mobility with that position, maybe nix the idea of the MArch and stick with that.

Jul 23, 18 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
dango

Thats's good advice, thanks a lot!

Jul 23, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: