Archinect
anchor

Need help!

milicapetrovic

Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year architecture student from Serbia and I have a rather dumb question regarding a project I'm working on. I'm designing an apartment building with 5 apartments (2 of them are duplexes) and I have been struggling to do the construction part for ages now. The building is supposed to have an underground garage and I have no idea where to put the structural columns so the parking places could fit lol. I've attached the PDF files of 3 floors and I'd be more than glad if someone could just mark where I could put the columns that will appear in the sub zero garage level.

Jul 19, 18 11:16 am
Non Sequitur

The columns go in between parking stalls, likely at every 3 stalls.  This typically determines the average unit width as the columns are kept continuous because of physics and costs. 

Being a school project, you can have offset columns if you design them as such (difficult if you don't know how) or you have a wonky parking layout with some wasted space.  

Consider converting some columns in the upper floors to solid walls in the parking garage to absorb some of the inefficiencies... and rationalize the structure.  It looks like too many columns are used anyways so you probably can cut a bunch out.  That's the easy part.  Spend some more time on your unit layouts, they need some TLC since you're a slave to the autoCAD block.

Jul 19, 18 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Serbians are autoCAD slavs, not slaves!

Jul 19, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You could always separate the two, build a super efficient parking as a kind of concrete table construction onto which you build your apartments in a lightweight manner, maybe CLT wood.

Jul 19, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^ podium construction we call it around here.

Jul 19, 18 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Thanks, didn't know that.

Jul 19, 18 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: