Archinect
anchor

architecture abroad

hp-new

What are the options for architecture jobs outside of the US? Is it reasonable to seek a job in Europe or elsewhere? I know that there are differences with licensure but what about just in general? Also kind of like study abroad in schools, do they offer co-ops abroad for students or is that less-likely an option? How do visas work in that manner do you have to get a job and then get the visa or do you need a visa to get a job? I'm just asking in general bc my friends in architecture talk about moving countries. 

Jul 12, 18 11:05 am
JLC-1

first, you don't need a license anywhere to get a "job". You do need a visa to get a job, but you can't get a visa without a job contract. learn a foreign language, any. study abroad can be what you make of it, many just take it as a tour of history, others drink until passing, others stay or get back and get jobs.moving countries opens your mind sometimes, most of the times.

Jul 12, 18 11:46 am  · 
 · 
hp-new

Yeah i know the study abroad can be great but also not great, im just saying in terms of a young professional who hasn't been out of school long. How easy is it to get a job abroad? Or even just a temporary job abroad?

Jul 12, 18 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

My understanding from friends who have gone through the process is that you have to be able to get a visa which requires you to get a job offer.  The requirement of having a visa generally cuts out a lot of firms because they don't want to back your visa process.  (It's expensive and time consuming for the firm.)  Plus the firm has to prove that you have some skill that no citizen applicant had for that particular position and the firm has to pay a foreigner at minimum a specific amount set by the government which is typically more than they would pay a citizen with the same skill set.  Generally, new grads don't really have much of a skill set yet, therefore it's harder for a firm to justify going through the visa process and additional pay just to hire a foreigner.  

Friends who were successful getting full-time jobs abroad took internships abroad during summers or took a year-long break between undergrad and grad to do a few internships in the country where they wanted to be hired after graduation.  Plus, extensive language courses/experience where they were basically bilingual as well.  Others started in a firm's office in NYC and transitioned to their firm's European office after a few years' work experience.

Jul 12, 18 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: