Archinect
anchor

Best Wood Siding for Strong Sun Exposure? Carbonized Wood?

ArchQuestion

Hi all - I am wanting to use real wood siding for the exterior facade on a home. The house is located in Southern California where it gets a lot of strong sun exposure. I was wondering if there any types/species of wood siding that do not need constant maintenance (i.e. sanding and finishing every 6 mos) and/or can be left to weather on their own and that will stand the test of time? I was looking at carbonized wood or Shou Sugi Ban which is that charred wood look in Japan as a possible option. Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

Jul 11, 18 1:01 pm
JLC-1

yes. shou-sugi-ban. I found these guys a while back, but didn't get to deal with them, http://nakamotoforestry.com/ works great in high UV environments.

Jul 11, 18 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
proto

for cost, we went with an opaque black stain (UV inhibitors in the mix, but not bombproof) --- also, we're not in socal

if staining cedar, you need rough sawn wood (not sanded) on all exposed surfaces as the stain won't show well otherwise

Jul 11, 18 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: