Archinect
anchor

Dumbest thing, No stupidest thing to hold up permit

s=r*(theta)

Building permit is not being issued for being short one plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A one gallon plant!!!!! This is ridiculous!!!!!!

Jul 10, 18 10:59 am
Non Sequitur

Turtles... and endangered fish (apparently).  in that order, on a damp (not wet) site in a heavily polluted old industrial area.

Jul 10, 18 11:01 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Frogs, little crawling frogs that can't be displaced. I took my dog for a walk in the area and he ate them .. made for a good snack. Problem solved!

Jul 10, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Frogs, little crawling frogs that can't be displaced. I took my dog for a walk in the area and he ate them .. made for a good snack. Problem solved!

Jul 10, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Plants are literally the only thing that is traditionally quantified on Landscape Drawings. So if zoning requires 10 plants, your drawings somewhere have a schedule that says Shrubz=9.

You deserve the pain for this one. 

Jul 10, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I provided landscape and planting schedule as I do in multiple municipalities, and did all required calcs based on client provided plat. Planning "Claims according to their calcs its short 1 plant unit per they have a record of site having additional 300s.f. than civil plat. ALL OVER A 1,000 s.f. ADDITION!!!! ITS ONE STUPID PLANT! HOW IS ARE YU PROTECTING LIFE SAFETY & WELFARE WITH ONE PLANT

Jul 10, 18 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

So how much would a margin slightly above the minimum number of plants have cost compared to the lost time and money? When we do projects with minimum requirements we either have a conversation with the code officials or we bump things up a little adding a few extra plants or another tree or moving the parking a few more inches from the setback if the project site has the ability to accommodate a little extra space or plant material. This is one of those lessons learned once kind of situations and that is why we practice architecture instead of just doing it.

Jul 10, 18 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Peter, I would think in the spirit of humanity and professionalism, one would issue a permit with a note to add additional plant unit to alredy required 232 plant units proposed to be provided, on a site with currently less than a 1/4 req’d!!! & not play a childs game of holding up a permit costing the owner money & time!!! especialy with civil plat showing site s.f. & myself spelling out landscape calc’s! there is no intent to defraud or con the city! adults we all know why we are here!!! and we know how this
works! & its def JUST B.S. on cities end

Jul 10, 18 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

I agree the permit could have been issued but experiences like this are why I always try to add a cushion in the setbacks, heights, and required quantities or areas of landscaping wherever possible. There is a cost of just doing the absolute minimum as well as doing a little extra.

Jul 11, 18 7:25 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I've had zoning hold up building permit release for stupid reasons and I ended up signing a covenant and recorded it. That way the building department is held harmless and they released it. 

Jul 10, 18 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

It was zoning approval, but was held up at one point because in the future someone could make unpermitted changes that would put the project in excess of the zoning restrictions. 

Jul 10, 18 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

zoning officials are holier than thou - they should start a cult and build some temples.

Jul 10, 18 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

The temples would never get permitted due to rival factions between zoning, building inspection, and fire marshals.

Jul 10, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jul 10, 18 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

also those temples would run afoul of the NIMBYs as they would not fit the "character of the neighborhood"

Jul 10, 18 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Nope. The dumbest thing is Southampton Town's Architectural Review Board, where they argued about seagulls flying into the projecting point of a large roof cantilever.

Jul 10, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

can they hold a building permit? I know they can here, and sometimes they band together with zoning, boom!

Jul 10, 18 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've had to include turtle road-crossing tunnels as part of a concession with the local friends of whatever during a review board meeting.

Jul 10, 18 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Poor seagulls... you really should reduce that cantilever.

Jul 10, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

How do turtles find the tunnels? They aren’t very smart animals.

Jul 10, 18 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

They burrow under fencing... so I believe we had to extend the fencing 610mm below grade in hopes of funneling them to a culvert under the main driveway. This was an industrial site with large transport traffic... but yes, they likely will find a way around this and still get smooshed.

Jul 10, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Ahh got ya.

Jul 10, 18 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

From today: you cannot use the exception that is spelled out in the code. Even though it is  clear that it applies and the code commentary explains it even better.

Jul 10, 18 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Not to start a kerfuffle (or even fracas), but aren't these complaints just the kind of thing that those danged regulation-hatin' libertarians also protest about?

Jul 10, 18 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Presence of wetland species within a certain distance of the building.  I don't deny the species were there - but the "wetland" was the result of the adjacent property owner's illegal storm drain, which had been discovered and removed during construction (and the neighbor subsequently jerry rigged another bogus drain to elsewhere on his own property), so the wetland species were about to have to relocate  nextdoor anyway.

Jul 10, 18 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

nice

Jul 10, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Thank god for the building official. Zoning saves the world one plant at a time...

Jul 10, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Planning Dept required me to provide proof that I'd contacted the state DEQ to confirm that the sub- 1,000 sq. ft. wetland on site was indeed not subject to regulations required for wetlands over 1000 sq. ft. 

Jul 10, 18 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I had a plan set that was rejected 3 times because I was supposed to label something on the site plan but I didn't know the word for it. They wanted me to label the lower part of the driveway at the curb cut as an 'apron'. Had never heard of it before then. 

Jul 11, 18 10:01 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

You all sound like a bunch of babies. Follow the damn codes and stop crying.

Jul 11, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: