Archinect
anchor

Architecture - Little stuff that makes a big difference

Midaz

Hi guys,

I was wondering, what is your little trick that you consider makes a BIG difference on the design of a house. I am trying to improve a lot my design skills but I struggle since not many architects talk about why they are doing a specific thing and how it impacts their work. So I was wondering is there any person here that would like to share one of the thing they like doing and why?

Also do you have a tip to mix a contemporary home and a old house?

thank you very much for your help!

Jul 6, 18 8:12 pm
mightyaa

Alignments... Reveals, joints, panels, etc.

Jul 6, 18 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Midaz

I am not sure to understans what you mean with pannels, joints and reveals

Jul 7, 18 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

A limited material palette of high quality and use those materials as they want to be used.

If you're designing a freestanding home and mixing old and new I'd look into Belgian architecture offices such as De Vylder etc. or BLAF, and don't cover up too much, show the history, imperfections and interventions. 

Persian carpet makers always leave a weaving error in their carpets, to not make it perfect (and boring imho) because only Allah can make things perfect.

Jul 7, 18 6:36 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

Don't overdo things or overthink them. Be sensible to clients needs, to site, neighborhood and generate a house plan and design that works from the inside out, as opposed to trying to achieve a certain aesthetic. Although personally I love modern design, I also love a well designed home of any style and that's always achieved when good proportion and truth in materials. Its also ok to be a bit bold and insert your personal signature into the design. Personally I like to play with protrusions, niches and creating unique spaces out of nothing. 

Jul 7, 18 7:09 am  · 
 · 
Midaz

thank you so much for your advice guys your are awesome! It is much appreciated! I will look every points you mentionned and study how I could add it into my tools !

Thanks again

Jul 7, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 

KISS

Keep it simple, stupid.

Jul 7, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's the opposite of what they teach in "design" school.

Jul 7, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Forgetting everything you've "learned" there is a good first step.

Jul 7, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Midaz

Exactly it is nice to keep it simple but I feel like many really small accessory details are making such a big difference !

Jul 7, 18 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Reflcted and borrowed light and long, diagonal sightlines.

Jul 7, 18 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Midaz

What do you mean by diagonal lights do you have an example?

Jul 7, 18 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Diagonal sightlines.

Jul 9, 18 6:11 am  · 
 · 
Midaz

thanks again to all your replies ! 

I really appreciate !

Jul 7, 18 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Midaz

if anyone else has tips and tricks im open :)

Jul 7, 18 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Midaz

I am currently working on few projects and do you guys have tricks to join 2 distinctive pavilion together seamingless? I struggle to find key concept to attach 2 buildings. I know roofs are a good way to do it but is there other ways you know to do it? If I dont use a roof in the opposite directions of the 2 main pavilion, it doesnt all melt together.. Would using 9' ceiling in pavilion and 8' ceiling in transition room allow to put hiearchy in my 3 pavilions and make it blend well? I domt know ..

Aug 22, 18 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
spacefragments

Personally, i like focusing on five things. 1. Meaning of form (form has to have meaning), 2. Organizational Pattern, 3. Spatial Quality, 4. Structural Configuration, 5. Narrative

Aug 23, 18 1:35 am  · 
 · 
nitinagarwal

I think it depends on priorities, we always give the priority to provides good and luxuries Wooden flooring services and customer satisfaction as well.

According to me, The best work is half engineering and half architecture and therefore completely dependent on the contribution of engineers.

1. We  always take some time to understand properly, what the client desire?
  2. Then we give a quick responds and show them trendy and good patterns, shades, designs and materials which suites on their requirements
  3. We also have the option to customize the designs according to client's needs. So, If we have some more innovative and trendy idea for our clients then we feel good to suggest it.

4. We use good wooden which is in good condition, that gives a             elegant looks for your interior or exterior 

Besides it, there are lots of little stuffs that makes a big difference, if we take care about these points from initial state, Then you get best results.

Aug 23, 18 3:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: