Archinect
anchor

Should I become an architect?

corywright

Hello everyone! 

I just had a general question. I want to become a residential architect and have an Associates in Drafting and Design and I'm currently a draftsman while I go into my B-Arch, however, before I start that program, I've been second guessing if I should go into the student debt that comes with becoming an architect along with the time it takes to earn the degree. Is it worth all the time and money to become an architect? I've been in love with this field of study since I was young and I'd like to start my own firm in 8 years. Is it a good career choice?

Jul 4, 18 10:20 pm

Can't wait for Shaw to jump in here ...

Jul 4, 18 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

Somehow, Miles, I didn't see this until just now.........but also, I'm hard at work writing a new novel - 'Rich Architect, Poor Architect'.......

Jul 7, 18 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Three years post school is probably not enough time to competently start your own firm. Get some real experience running projects first.

Jul 5, 18 12:03 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Corywright, if you know you want to be an architect, then go all the way and get licensed. It will open more doors for you, and you'll learn a lot in school, internships, and ARE test prep. There are reasons to avoid architecture as a profession, but if you want to be in the profession, don't go half way. None of the alternative, "certified building designer" programs hold any weight with potential employers or peers, unless you want to work as a kitchen designer. 

I say this as a moderately successful, unlicensed residential designer. 

Jul 5, 18 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'd argue that NCBDC designation does clients a disservice, making them think that the designer may have a level of expertise equivalent to an architect. To be successful as an independent designer you have to have experience, a portfolio, referrals, etc. You're at the mercy of the free market so talent helps too. If you want some letters to make up for the lack of an architectural education, I recommend pursuing Passive House training. Then you can throw "CPHC" after your name, and it has at least some recognition, within the architecture and engineering communities and among interested consumers.

Jul 5, 18 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

In any case, the original question was, " Is it worth all the time and money to become an architect?" I stand by my answer--if you want to be an architect, then yes, it's worth it. If you don't want to be an architect, or can't afford it, there are alternatives, but none carry the weight of an architectural stamp.

Jul 5, 18 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Rick, where licensure is not required, all the AHJ cares about is that the project meets the building code and zoning ordinances. They don't care what letters you have after your name. If it's not clear that the project meets the prescriptive building code, they will accept an architect or engineer's stamp. I have been the designer of record for upwards of 200 projects, with no letters after my name and no stamp. I bring in a structural engineer 10-15% of the time, when it's not clear that prescriptive code will cover the situation.

Jul 7, 18 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

"Otherwise, what real value are you to anyone such as clients?" The value is in planning a construction project. 

I don't know any architects, much less building designers or drafters, who do their own structural calcs. Or energy loads, unless they are Passive House consultants. (I do both when it's straightforward, but I have a degree in structural engineering and am a CPHC.)

Jul 7, 18 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

RickB is enamored with certifications, has become stalled on the path to an architecture degree and sees this NCBDC thing as a shortcut to a title, and repeatedly brings it up as if it's a real alternative to an architect license.  If letters after your name are your only real goal then fine (though if that's the goal then there are faster and cheaper letters you can buy), but I worry that he's sending prospective architects into that boondoggle thinking it's somehow going to make them more qualified or authorized to practice residential design. 

No state recognizes the CPBD certification, so it doesn't qualify you to do anything that you can't already do with no certifications at all.  If you want to practice residential design in states that don't require an architect for that, then you don't need any particular certifications.  If you want to practice residential design in a state that does require an architect for most residential design (example: New York), then you'll need to become an architect (and "Certified Professional Building Designer" isn't even a legal title to use in New York.)  There are only a few hundred CPBDs worldwide, and most of the states in the eastern half of the US have between zero and 5 of them so it's got no name-brand-recognition for the public at all. 

Jul 5, 18 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes.

Jul 5, 18 3:19 pm  · 
( o Y o )

No.

Jul 5, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You are going to pay a lot of money and defer working for years to take courses you could probably teach?

Jul 7, 18 10:47 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

For $1,000 you can take a test to become a Super Awesome Designer.  I will personally proctor and grade the open book exam on an as needed basis.  If an applicant live in a particularly desireable area I'll even allow them to take the exam more than once.    

The "SAD" designation let's everyone know that while you like doodling pretty pictures, you are not interested in the actual knowledge and experience required to take responsibility for a design in the manner than at architect or engineer does.

Please spread the word, I think this could really take off!

Jul 10, 18 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

LOL

Jul 11, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

apologies for poor grammar, perhaps the "SAD" designation will have more cachet if I raise the price?

Jul 11, 18 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I may start the competing Designation of Universal Merit in Building.

Jul 11, 18 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I like it!

Jul 12, 18 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

The passive house cert is a very interesting and worthwhile pursue as it certifies knowledge that only a few people really have, and does not duplicate and architect or engineers training.

If you're not going to become architect, that's prob the only one worth anything

Jul 10, 18 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: