Archinect
anchor

Salary Question

s=r*(theta)

Cut to the chase; Im up for annual review and bump in pay. I understand the AiA salary calculator (Minnesota ,south dakota) is a guide to put you in the ballpark and I also strive to be fair as well. that said, I feel my day to day task are a hybrid of project manager and between architect 2, architect 3. Imho, I feel asking 92k is unrealistic but 62k is to low. Some advice please on what is a good number to go into next week meeting with?

also before you ask, Im licensed, 12 years work experience, I'm heavily involved in all aspects design services with minimum specification experience, I do some CA (not alot because most of our projects do not require it) I do not write contracts at all.

Thanks

Jul 2, 18 4:31 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 14 Comments

SpontaneousCombustion

How big is the firm, how long have you been there, what have you done this year that has helped the firm, of those things which directly affected profitability and how much, how have you grown in your role and abilities since your last salary bump, when was your last raise, what % was it, how's the firm doing this year, how is the project queue looking for the next 2-3 years, are there any big financial strains on the firm on the horizon (like buying out a retiring partner, or moving the office), are there things they told you in the past that you could do to advance your abilities and/or the firm and if so have you achieved those, have you checked US dept of labor stats for your region, and what's your firm's modus operandi with regard to raises and roles?

Jul 2, 18 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

been with the firm almost 18 months

Jul 2, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I have helped the firm by being able to hit the ground running since being hired managing and taking on significant scale projects with minimal to almost no supervision. Since being hired, I have reduced my time it takes to get a project in and out the door by being more familiar with office procedures and protocols and I have been involved with implementing a few ideas that help our team execute more optimal. last raise was 12 months ago, and was only 3k which was negotiated at hire and promised I would get if I made 6month probation. the firm doing great, project queue is stacked next 2 years. there are no big financial strains on the firm. there are goals they told me i could do to advance my abilities and I am surpassing the firms expectation of those, US dept of labor stats for my region says 76k

Jul 3, 18 10:34 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

How long have you been with the firm?  And the harder question; How easily are you replaced in the firm (client interaction? the goto guy on certain things? etc.).  In other words, would there be a ripple or tsunami at the office if you were disappeared and workload had to be shuffled around?

Jul 2, 18 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Firm is 5 employee's, looking to hire 6th. If I walked out the door today, which I wont, it would definitely be a huge problem but they would manage im sure.

Jul 2, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Archinect

salaries.archinect.com

Jul 2, 18 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Thanks

Jul 2, 18 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

also take into account there may be a recession in a year or two - unless you are a real hot shoe, you will be the first to go if you cost too much and don't produce

Jul 2, 18 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Im always producing

Jul 2, 18 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Depends on the full benefit package and likelihood of upward mobility, if you want to be partner at some point etc. How many other firms around where you could realistically jump ship. Why not ask for the $92? Can’t hurt. If they throw high 80’s back you still got a great bump.
Jul 2, 18 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

It was expressed to me 6months after I was hired in an informal performance meeting, that I would be a good candidate for associate partner at some point and if that should come about, I will have no acting power but heightened responsibility and 2% of all quarterly earnings. My last job I was introduced with to the idea of successionship during a annual review

Jul 2, 18 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Heh, reviews must be synchronized by firm owners, my review is today.  I'm similarly in your boat with 10 years of experience and if I could swing 92k I'd be very happy.  People always say you get more money job hopping, but I like where I work.  *shrug*  Strike when the iron is hot though... I've got roughly 20 headhunters messaging me on linkedin, it's crazy right now.  

Anyway, good luck on your review and tell us how it went.  

Jul 3, 18 8:30 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Fisch, I agree, I really like where im at and I dont plan on leaving. Also I have been, approached by 2 local firms as well as several hits on linkedin as well which one of the offers were 12k more than what I make and was a position with less responsibility than I currently have. Im thinking of just avg. the two (92 & 62) and go from there

Jul 3, 18 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm oddly enough in the same boat as both of you... review and next negotiation round in 3 months' time. Looking to wedge into firm management role with equity partnership track.

Jul 3, 18 10:41 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Non, thanks for the input. My goal is to be prepared for review next week with a reasonable number and in doing so I have reviewed AiA salary comp, looked online, asked a couple colleagues at diff firms who were pretty tight lipped, asked archinect, and looked at us labor in my region. I appreciate everyone who were willing to comment, thanks

Jul 3, 18 11:19 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Joesef, How did the review go?!

Jul 8, 18 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Pretty well, I mentioned wanting to break into "bringing in the work" and they're sending me on a few RFQs and having me work with marketing, which is new. Normally I don't get the reigns until it's time to meet on site with whatever facility director has been put in charge. They're also sending me to some expos and conferences for 'leadership'. The board meets in September to discuss a bunch of stuff including raises and promotions, so that gives me some time to land one of these RFQs and maybe get a new title by end of year? Fingers crossed

Jul 10, 18 10:16 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

How did yours go?

Jul 10, 18 10:17 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Its thursday. But hopefully things continue onward and upward for you.

Jul 10, 18 10:51 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I asked for $9k bump. left meeting thinking, why did I do that?!?! :/ Got email last wed. saying raised has been processed and I will see $6k on my next paycheck. I was thinking maybe I should have waited, last week I inadvertently pitched to a group of owners of a local restaurant who would like to franchise and build 6 additional stores in the region. Im the only one in office with franchise / prototype restaurant experience. Thanks guys & girls!

Jul 30, 18 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Great news!

Aug 2, 18 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I think that i'm about the same as you - licensed, 12 yrs exp, arch 2.5ish, minimal PM work, 35 person firm in metro detroit

I recently got a raise to 75k, having been here a little over a year. 

Good luck

Jul 3, 18 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Shell, I definitely appreciate the feed back.

Jul 3, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

really good friend (much older than me) just quit my firm, told me shortly before leaving that it was time for me to start thinking about firm ownership and to start that discussion, suggested a 5 year plan to transition, might want to think about that as well.

Jul 3, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

typically projects over 3-4million I sit in on all initial meetings and help with some prelim design, generic
code review for project type, budget, scheduling etc. and typically at
the point floor plan and elevations are signed off on, I take it and run
with it  (manage it from there) and handle and coordination, (civil,
mech, elec, structural, etc.) production, code analysis,etc. from there
to within 95% to 100% completion. most projects 500k or less, I am just handed the job folder and directed to contact client
and meet client expectations. Majortiy of our projects are multifamily,
retail (strip malls) and we have a national bank we provide services
for in about 8 states. So I agree, I feel im in the 2.5ish -pm range. Not sure if Im interested in whole owner or partner at the moment

Jul 3, 18 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

Ask for a range that approaches the highest number your gut feeling is comfortable with - don't go to low 60's - what is the lowest you can really take and live on and enjoy? Maybe, try: $84,000 - $89,000 or $88,000 - $93,000. We always feel that we're not worth the higher salary, but we are.

Jul 4, 18 12:56 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I seem to average $5-7 million, school rehabs, most of it goes to a new roof, new flooring, new lighting, and new mechanical. Design is typically regulated to "here's some rooms we aren't utilizing well" and you divvy them up differently and put new equipment in them. A lot of schools have to get MDF and IDF rooms, which is funny because at the same time we're going wireless on a lot of things. So the school hasn't had an MDF room forever, and has racks sprinkled everywhere, we carve out something from storage or more often the media center and provide a 18x12 or so, throw 6 racks in there, and then reduce the necessary equipment due to going wireless such that about half a rack gets used.... Haven't won this argument with any county yet, even though everyone I've talked to at our firm and with the county agree that it's a bit... funny.

Jul 10, 18 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Thanks all. I beleive im more prepared now going into this meeting

Jul 7, 18 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Good luck!!!

Jul 8, 18 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Dont forget to let us know how everything went. Good luck and if the boss wont budge, tell him "fu@* you then" and start applying at other firms secretively =)

Jul 8, 18 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
danauk79

Assess the amount and value of work you do and mention it to them, if you feel you are hard to replace then force a big raise. Good luck

Jul 9, 18 4:27 am  · 
 · 
randomised

How did it go?

Aug 2, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
s=r*(theta)

I went out on limb in review and asked for $9k! I guess talking about $$$$ can be a challenge, that said I left review thinking I was stupid for throwing out $9k, Got email a few days later saying $6k will reflect on my next paycheck :D!!!

Aug 2, 18 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Patrick112

One of the best tips I’ve ever read in terms of salary negotiations is to counter with a number that ends in 50. For example, if the company offers you $80,000 it’s a nice well-rounded figure. If you counter for $85,000 it looks like your standard counter. Let’s say instead you counter with $86,250 knowing your goal is to get the company to at least $85,000. The hiring manager may think that you know more about the pay range than he or she does by your non-round figure counter and/or think you have another offer on the table with that figure. Either way, it has a physiological effect of more likely getting you the paycheck you deserve.

Often a recruiter will ask what you currently make in a phone interview. Again, this is used as a screening question to eliminate candidates or to form your new salary based on your previous salary. While most people give this information freely, as a former recruiter, I would caution you against it giving it up at all. Stick to a range that you want your new salary to be if the question comes up. If the recruiter is insistent on getting your previous pay it’s best to stick with, “If we’re in the same ballpark we can continue to talk.” Just like you wouldn’t ask them how much money they make, what they pay other people in the position, or what they’re talking to other candidates about paying them, it’s information that will do more harm than good to divulge. Set a boundary of not disclosing that information and stick to it.

More salary negotiation tips at SalaryHacker.

Nov 18, 18 6:32 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

salaries are pathetic for architects. AIA salary calculator is way above average in my honest opinion. You are probably looking at 75k. 90k and up is more for senior management positions.

Nov 18, 18 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: