Archinect
anchor

Searching for digital files for Kibera slum

kshah8

Hello, 

Does anyone know where I can find digital information of Kibera slum in Kenya? 3d model, cad file, etc.. Tried searching on the internet but can't find anything useful. Thanks! 

Jun 29, 18 10:33 am

1 Featured Comment

All 6 Comments

Non Sequitur

A 3D model request for a slum?  Now I've seen everything.

Jun 29, 18 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think we've reached a new lazy student bottom here.

Jun 29, 18 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Point cloud scanner to bim perhaps? This is assuming the OP survives and does not have their gear stolen.

Jun 29, 18 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

It's all built on a garbage dump, with no foundations, and floods all the time.  The buildings and topography change continuously. The only constant is the railroad track.  You'd need some kind of real-time scanners feeding data to an always-updating model.  That would be pretty cool.  You should get to work on that, kshah8.

Jun 29, 18 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You'd think that a student researching slums would know this.

Jun 29, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
kshah8

Yes I know that, I was just wondering if there might be some more information regarding the major roads in and around the slum, and the topography. Thank you 5839!

Jun 29, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

I believe you’re asking/hoping for too much.

You can make a topographic map using rhino with grasshopper/elk using NASA shuttle topographic radar mission data. The accuracy won’t be spot on (I haven’t checked), but it’s better than nothing. Also look at open street maps to see if anyone has mapped the street data. That also works with the elk plugin.

Jun 29, 18 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I'm kind of curious now what this project is about... 

Jun 29, 18 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Your best bet would be getting the CAD files from the original architects.

Jun 29, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

They should have a 3D file on record at the department of building inspection, there they should also have all the plans, structural calculations and the details, my god the details!

Jun 30, 18 3:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: