Archinect
anchor

Where do architects hang out online?

Daniel da Rocha

Hello!

I was wondering lately where do architects hang out online? I see so many communities for developers (dev.to, indiehackers.com), for artists (behance, deviantart), writers (medium, nanowrimo forums). But architects seem to be a bit left out, with only Archinect out there.

I have also been asking myself why do architects seem reluctant to share knowledge? Is it for lack of a cool and exciting community? Tools? We seem to be so competitive, only showing off our work but really not helping each other out...

Would be cool to know what other architects/students think about this!

Greetings from Beijing!

Daniel

Jun 18, 18 10:47 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 18 Comments

The methadone clinic.

Jun 18, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier
In before the Richard WC Balkins “I’m gonna type 1000 words even though I know nothing about the topic” response.
Jun 18, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Ok, that made me laugh this morning.

Jun 19, 18 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

When he did get here he only typed 750 words. He's slowing down in his old age.

Jun 19, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

Xvideos

Jun 18, 18 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

haha that says a lot about the quality of the discussion in the most active online forum for architects I could find...

kinda sad...

Jun 18, 18 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why is it sad?

Jun 18, 18 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

no serious answers for a genuine question.

Jun 18, 18 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

can you bullet point your questions? the topic is very wide and wild - truth is never sad, it only has no solution. on "sharing" knowledge; I have no issue sharing even autocad drawings with people I know and value, but on the internet? you could be a deep dark black hole and nobody would know...

Jun 19, 18 11:15 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Save the judgment for another day or two, Daniel.  

"Kinda sad" might also be applied to someone judging an entire group for not instantly springing into action at a query posted just hours before.  Give people a chance to respond.

Jun 19, 18 12:35 am  · 
 · 

true. too abrupt from my part. sorry guys.

Jun 19, 18 1:02 am  · 
 · 
citizen

No sweat. I admit that I'm curious to hear, too...

Jun 19, 18 2:22 am  · 
 · 

what about you?? mostly Archinect?

Jun 19, 18 2:31 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

kinda sad does capture what a lot of people have to say about architecture

Jun 19, 18 9:20 am  · 
 · 
citizen

^Daniel: yes, mostly. Not much on social media, and I feel like half my life (or more) is spent in front of a screen already. I'm trying to do less of that and more of other things (reading, exercising, traveling, music, friends in real time, etc).

Jun 19, 18 11:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I dunno, hanging out with architects is tiresome and boring most of the time. We see architects all day at work, don't think many of us have the need, energy or will power to hang out online with more of them after seeing their ugly mugs for 10 hrs a day already...All we talk about is our work and if we discuss someone else's work it's 99% of the time in a negative manner, who needs all that? So for me it's only archinect at the moment, gave up my Disqus account because of Godwin's law...

Jun 19, 18 3:39 am  · 
 · 

I get your point. I also have this impression that we are really too full of ourselves and not really approachable. There is 100% will to show off our work and zero will to share knowledge and support each other. It can be a very toxic community (look at Dezeen and Archdaily comments, for example).

But I am wondering, why? Don't you feel the need to learn more? Or to share your knowledge and not only your work?

I wonder what would it take for architects to be more like devs in that sense... or is it just impossible?

And also, wondering if the reason for that is the lack of a fresh, healthy, engaging  platform for that kind of interaction....

Jun 19, 18 3:56 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I don't think it's the lack of such a platform that's the issue, our body of knowledge is our livelihood and just sharing that online or giving it away for free is what a lot of people don't want to do.

They are often also the kind of questions that clients usually should pay for and when people want such advise for free it never ends well, just look at the comments.

And for students, they often ask questions they really should work out themselves, which are part of the learning process of being a student, so when they want shortcuts and are being lazy and entitled that also doesn't end well. The problem is that these encounters are usually not engaging, people have a deadline and a pertinent question they forgot to address earlier in the process and want immediate answers and will leave as soon as they get what they need, no interaction at all.

Also people will just steal or use others' ideas, ask for people to share their portfolio online to "see examples" or something but don't show what they did themselves or what they did with the given advise.

When people do ask for help or advise and post their own work along with that, they usually get good feedback, so it's not that toxic either. It's give and take, you get out of it what you put into it.

Jun 19, 18 4:48 am  · 
 · 

If you replace everything you say about architects with "developers" or "writers" or "photographers" you could use the same arguments. Except these groups are constantly sharing knowledge and helping each other out online. Just look at dev communities like http://dev.to or http://indiehackers.com or the whole open source movement; or look at Medium and the amount of high-quality articles published for free. Look at Youtube and the huge amount of high quality supporting material for so many creative fields.

The notion that sharing knowledge would work against you and that's why you should isolate yourself on your castle and protect your assets feels wrong. You can share all you know, people can try to copy it, but no one will ever be you. That is your leverage. And sharing knowledge would only push the field forward, while isolating ourselves just makes the whole discourse fragmented. We are all in this together and should support each other...

And saying that students who ask for help are lazy, sorry but that is not true. Guidance and advice can be quite empowering for students. Otherwise all they are seeing is a bunch of selfish professionals who are just unhappy about the fact that they will soon have extra competition. Instead, they should feel excited and embraced by a vibrant and accepting community.

But I also see how this might sound very naive and idealistic. But I truly believe we would be better off if we got together and helped each other out.

There's got to be more people out there who also think so?

Jun 19, 18 6:11 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I read "I've been in the software development field since the 1980s" and can't get any further. You've discredited the whole thing right there, no matter what the rest of it says. Your were EIGHT YEARS OLD when the 1980s ended. This is the same as if all of us put architecture experience dating back to elementary school on our resumes because we built tree houses and played with blocks and legos: we could list it, but then it would discredit everything else on the resume, and everything else we say or do from then on. You weren't in any industry in the 80s or the 90s. You didn't even have a GED until 2000-something.

Jun 19, 18 9:05 am  · 
 · 
eastcoast

After beginning my architecture journey years ago, I too felt similar in school. In the education side of it people had no problem interrupting my own work to ask questions or get advice on their work but couldn't bother to do the same if I too had a question or wanted advice. I stopped asking simply because people began to claim bits of my projects that they had given me advice on even it was something that I had suggested in the first place. I too searched for a place online with architects that were willingly giving advice (on how things work and the professional world of architecture. not design) that I obviously would have no idea about otherwise and couldn't already find on my own. Especially when it referenced the gap between architecture education and architecture practice and I don't know anyone else who can be of help to me. (Probably one of my least favorable decisions as I feel there's about 10 people on this forum that comment and post regularly yet are the most unhelpful and unkind for no reason) I'm still searching for my own answers as you are but as I have now, I think it stems early on in education. People seem to get this approach to their work in such a personal way that it becomes too personal. With the flexibility of grading (in education) two people could present the exact same project and get two different grades. And in the professional setting this could be in the form of a veteran architect with an intern architect who have the same idea but its only deemed valid from a veteran. I think it then becomes a sort of leverage for themselves. When someone isn't confident in their own abilities they are more limiting to the information they share. Its like giving one good idea away is all they have to offer who knows when or if they will come up with something else. Just confidence, ability, and power in my opinion. People who lack power will do anything they can to make it look as if they do have power. Had I known that this forum was so unaccepting of architecture students I probably wouldn't have joined. *Cue all the people telling me to leave. I think what you are talking about is a conversation that architects just don't want to have and feel entitled not to have. Its a chain of treatment that seems to go down the line.

Jun 19, 18 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I've seen this show already, here and on other forums. Once anybody asks you how many you sold, whether it added up to any real income, where's the money now, etc. the hemming and hawing begins, and excuses about your controlling parents, and laments about the limitations of the software industry, and... here we go again: they all end up with you weren't really in business at age 4, or 8, or even at 36 for that matter.

Jun 19, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Too many tl;dr's...

Jun 19, 18 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Richard you've previously stated repeatedly that you have more experience than any traditional college student could possibly have, and you based that on the suppositions that people under 18 can't sign contracts, and that anything without a contract does not equal legitimate professional experience. Now, those suppositions are arguable - but they're your own assertions. So if you expect people to buy that you have career-applicable experience dating back to when you were in elementary school, then you'll have to admit that any other student or professional in the world might also have that much or more experience, and permanently give up on your claims that you've got more experience than anyone.  One or the other.  

Jun 19, 18 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
There is plenty of good stuff shared on these boards if one puts in the effort. Perhaps it’s a bad sample pool, but a large percentage of students posting here are not looking to share, they are looking for quick answers they are too lazy to reaserch on their own. Ain’nobody got time to help these children cross the road.

My professional network involves a pub, a steady supply of Guinness, some decently damp coasters (my fountain pen ink lines look better in slightly spongy damp coasters) and the same 5 to 6 other licensed arch I’ve know for many years. That’s how information is best shared IMO.
Jun 19, 18 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I do plenty of sharing. Do you? I think if you participate instead of demand you might get better results.

Jun 19, 18 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Zing.

Jun 19, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Hi Miles!

Jun 19, 18 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Yeah I do share. And I am trying to improve that. Slowly but surely. Just trying to find better places...

Jun 19, 18 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoast

Half of what gets shared on here is shut down by all of you anyways so...

Jun 20, 18 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Oh?

Jun 20, 18 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

Donna described it best. Archinect is like a clubby bar where the guys and gals go after work. There have been bar fights, crying into beers, baudy humor and no shortage of students looking for answers to their homework, cheap assholes looking for free designs, real estate brokers looking for promotion angles - you name it, we've got it. Patrik Schumacher stopped by to self-promote and was quickly chased out. We even have a village idiot (although some might disagree on who that is). 

You have to earn your chops here. It's just like everywhere else except for the virtual bit and the natural consequence of anonymity in this system of pipes, which is for the lack of better words sludge

Jun 19, 18 8:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

my vote for featured comment.

Jun 19, 18 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Your $5 is in the mail.

Jun 19, 18 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yay.

Jun 19, 18 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

Anonymity is one of the worst parts of Archinect, IMHO.

Jun 19, 18 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Daniel, you say that until you get some crazy jesus conspiracy wanker invading your other social media and work profiles.

Jun 19, 18 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah I get your point. But anonymity can have levels. And all social networks allow for blocking of said jesus conspiracy wankers, in case that happens. A simple Twitter or FB profile link would go a long way to raise the conversation level.

Jun 19, 18 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

FB or Twitter raises the level?!

Jun 20, 18 12:32 am  · 
 · 

Pretty much the stupidest thing I've heard this month. That's like saying "holding political office
gives you integrity".

Jun 20, 18 12:38 am  · 
 · 

Hey relax, you misunderstood what I meant. I am talking about using other social profiles to give users here some identity. Sure, whatever they do on Twitter or FB, or even if their profiles are just another front, it is another story.

Jun 20, 18 12:44 am  · 
 · 

It is one thing to have johndoe35 participate in a conversation, and it is another to have a Miles Jaffe with links to other stuff you have online.

Jun 20, 18 12:47 am  · 
 · 

exactly

Jun 20, 18 1:15 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
mantaray
"I also have this impression that we are really too full of ourselves and not really approachable. There is 100% will to show off our work and zero will to share knowledge and support each other."

Generally what you're describing is true of INTERNET FORUMS of all stripes. (And frankly I find Archinect much better than most which is why I've been here 10+ years--lots of helpful knowledge sharing here and genuine camaraderie.)

But Internet forums have taken on a life of their own. In real life, I love hanging out with architects. Maybe it depends on the city you're in, but at least where I live, the culture is SUPER supportive and friendly.
Jun 19, 18 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think it does depend. I worked in a firm where it was a huge deal to even speak. It was like the floor was paved with eggshells. Everybody had to tiptoe around. As an intern with about a year of experience, I asked a 50-something year old architect clarification about a fire/smoke rating and he said "I'm not going to tell you." and walked away. I asked him if there was a book I could look in. He said no. I later realized there are plenty of books on the subject, just that he didn't have one for me. "Don't train your competition" is a thing. I wasn't asking how to VP freeze. I was asking about something pretty important and confusing.

(This was an IDP firm of the year too.)

Jun 19, 18 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Yeesh. I worked in a couple firms like that. I think the older people rationalized it that they'd been treated that way, which made them figure out everything on their own, so they should treat younger folks that way too so we'd learn. No thought that perhaps if they'd been mentored a little then they would have learned even more...

One of those firms made some promotional videos while I was there, featuring each of the principals.  In all of them the principals are shown interacting with the staff, but only the principals are heard speaking, and then the staff are always muted and background music plays over them.  It's almost as if they were making instructional videos on how to run a firm where everyone is afraid to talk or collaborate.

Jun 19, 18 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think they rationalize it too that you can google anything now, so why should they waste their breath?

Jun 19, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

My guess is the old guy didn't know the answer to the question, so he was saving face by putting on a show of making you industriously find the answer on your own. If the question was what's the difference between a fire rating and a smoke partition I've got old guys in my office now who still can't answer that.

Jun 19, 18 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

What's the difference between a fire rating and a smoke partition and if it is what I think it is, how can I monetize on it? Thanks in advance, I was asking for a friend.

Jun 20, 18 1:00 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Fire ratings are given to firecrackers, like oh yeah, this one's a 10! Smoke partitions are used to enclose smoke lounges at the airport. U use this info to 1. meet people in smoke lounges and 2. buy the best firecrackers.

Jun 20, 18 1:26 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

my company is pretty good about fracturing itself into compartments. it's kind of neat, because we have a compartment that thinks everything has to be kept secret and other compartments that don't, so the 1 year interns like you're talking about can actually see the difference.

Jun 20, 18 7:44 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Same guy also told me exterior walls were never fire-rated. Turns out he was kidding. I survived. Maybe I'm assburgers too.

Jun 20, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's how I found archinect. Been getting help here ever since.

Jun 20, 18 8:49 am  · 
 · 

tintt, what if I do firecrackers in smoke lounges, would that put fire ratings into question or the smoke partitions?

Jun 20, 18 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't think we should be promoting segregation in any form hence why I refuse to put any fire separations in my projects. What will our children's children think about our actions when they discover fire has feelings and sentient thoughts?

Jun 20, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can never remember if the rule is to always take firecrackers to the airport or to never do that.

Jun 20, 18 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I do both. I'll bring some with me in my carry-on but mail the others to my destination (in a generic brown box with no return address, of-course).  This way, I 'm always certain to have done the right thing.

Jun 20, 18 10:17 am  · 
 · 

I wonder if there are "G" rated firecrackers I can use in the smoking lounge in the airport? You guys know? I guess I could google.

Jun 20, 18 10:54 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger's comment has been hidden
BulgarBlogger

We hang out in Israel and discuss Palestinians. LOL 

Jun 20, 18 11:16 am  · 
 · 

Oh, the bvulgar in da house. What's your rating sweetie?

Jun 20, 18 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger's comment has been hidden
BulgarBlogger

An F- for Israel-hating bastards like you lol

Jun 20, 18 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

what a sad person... comes out from nowhere to libel against me.

Jun 20, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Holy fuck does Rick right a novel every time he posts. Fuck or I’m high and drunk ? Shit boths maybe 

Jun 20, 18 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

please Rick, just because we choose not to read your rants does not mean we're devoid of any mental capacity. You on the other hand... have issues.

Jun 20, 18 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Ricky posting while intoxicated? Not like him to be aggressively rude.

Jun 20, 18 10:20 am  · 
 · 
eastcoast

"The posts are longer then the two or three sentence length mental capacity of the COCKroaches of on archinect". Spot on! So accurate

Jun 20, 18 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, novels often have plots and a cohesive structure or narrative. Yours often equal hot piles of mindless ramblings. That's why they are not read and addressed by the rest of us.

Jun 20, 18 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Ricky, I never read anything you write that is over two sentences long, and most of the time I just ignore you entirely. The only amusing thing about you is seeing how others respond to you. That being said, why do you bother posting here in the cockroach forums - is that a step up for you?

Jun 20, 18 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Ricky is off his meds again. His mindless ramblings have gone angry.

Take a time out, Dude.

Jun 20, 18 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey now, keep my saintly name out of that dirty mouth of yours.

Jun 20, 18 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

There is also 'ignore user'. I'm sure you understand plonk

Bye bye!

Jun 20, 18 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Where do potential clients hang out online?

Jun 20, 18 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Ok, where were we? 

Best ever architects' hang out is Thread Central. Probably the longest one too. I wonder how many pages it would be if it was a book?

Jun 20, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I remember the very day Thread Central first showed up Orhan. We've both changed names since then... fun to look back at the earlier days. Although I do feel Thread Central is almost a chronicle mirroring the exact trajectory of internet forums in general: started out in the early 2000s as a sort of fun, egalitarian, friendly and welcoming secret garden of sorts, and then as time goes by, being forced to weather the storm of trolls and various internet gasbags as the weeds make their assault upon the garden... not sure if you remember me but I was a different m name once. armenian from so cal. someday i hope to share a couple borek with you...

Jun 23, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

M***m of course I remember. Those were the good days when people were secure enough to laugh at themselves. I see lots of meanness around these days. Just the other day some low life called a libel on me for no particular reason in this thread. Based on his hateful assumption of me. A racist hack. I don’t post much anymore because of these kinds of problem people.

Jun 23, 18 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

But it’s nice to see yo
u and occasionally other old friends around.

Jun 23, 18 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

on a serious note I hang out at strip joints 

Jun 20, 18 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

beautiful

Jun 20, 18 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We "hang out" on a beer app.

Jun 20, 18 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

shssssssssus.

Jun 20, 18 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

New app idea. Sketches with Architects. All are on napkins.

Jun 20, 18 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: