Archinect
anchor

recomendations for what to see for a architecture trip in europe?

vicyvic

hi, I'm a soon to be third year undergrad student, and is aiming to save some money for an architecturuge trip around europe, mainly for the purpose of leaning.  I am looking for recommendations or pointers as to what should I not miss out, even though I don't drive.  I plan to cycle mostly, and get night busses around the EU.

I think my upper budget is around £2500 for the whole trip, and i'm looking to maximise a month of traveling to see as much good architecture as possible.

I'm not really looking for large commercial projects, but rather more experimental or unique projects to see and learn from.

so currently, i just really want to see the venice binalle, some more scarpa, some of corbusier's projects, and muller house.

If anything comes to mind, please feel free to reply!

Thankyou!!

Jun 16, 18 8:44 pm
nabrU

Milton Keynes

Jun 16, 18 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The Tower of Pisa obviously.

Jun 17, 18 12:15 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

What is your interest?  Different cities and areas have different things to offer.  Bombed German cities offer a nice mix of historic and newer buildings because whole areas were bombed out.  Vienna drips with historicist architecture, if that's your thing. 

Basing somewhere like Como, Italy puts you within a days' travel of a lot of southern Swiss towns, Milan, the Vitra factory, and a lot of other places.  

Jun 18, 18 8:06 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I actually spent a month backpacking Europe between third and fourth year of undergrad.  I was already there doing a summer session study abroad in Paris and decided to take an extra month and just backpack with a friend.  Best trip of my life.

My interests are more on this historical side so not all of these may be of interest to you, but all are worth a good google.  Here's my short list:  

• Berlin - if you like urban, its really cheap/safe to bike around and see the city.
  • Saltworks at Chaux - they have a Ledoux museum
  • Le Corbusier Foundation (and other works in France, but this one is easily accessible in Paris)
  • John Soane House, British Museum, Somerset House - there is so much in London!
  • Il Duomo - do not miss even if you don't care for historical works; its worth it to stand in line and pay for the tour.

There is seriously so much, but these are good starters IMO.

Jun 18, 18 10:07 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I honestly don't think you'll learn much about leaning from these recommendations...

Jun 18, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

therme vals and vitra campus

Jun 18, 18 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Glasgow School of Art, oooh, nevermind.

Jun 18, 18 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: