Archinect
anchor

Continuing the myth

joseffischer

We've got some 6th graders coming in this weekend for a tour as part of their STEM program at georgia tech to see what "architects do".  Everyone's to have their desks cleaned by Friday, we've removed all stick sets from view, and they're using the large tables for the few models we've done over the years.  Honestly, some of them have seen better days and should be tossed, but it's what we've got.

I wish we could be more honest with them, but I'm not rocking the boat.

Jun 14, 18 12:38 pm
joseffischer

Oh... and the marketing head and an admin assistant will be docents, so no actual architects.  *shrug*  They told us about this last minute and I already had plans out of town this weekend.

Jun 14, 18 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

The marketing guy and an "administrative assistant" will be the ones telling the kiddies what architects do!  Gotta love that.  I wonder if one of the little buggers will ask why there aren't any actual architects around.  They're in debtors prison, maybe.

Jun 14, 18 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

6th graders visiting any professional office-- for an hour, on a weekend-- will plainly get just a tiny sliver of information.  And that sliver will be processed inside 11-year-old minds.  So don't sweat this.  

If the concern is the marketer's skewed perspective, then show up and give them yours.  That would add some value.

Jun 14, 18 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

My old man hosted my third grade class from PS 6 in Manhattan and gave them a full client presentation on a custom house.

At the end one kid raised his hand and asked, "Where is the swimming pool?".

Jun 14, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Was there a swimming pool and the kid was just dumb?

Jun 14, 18 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

this is awesome.

Jun 14, 18 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

I have a folder full of the

se, each one funnier than the last.

Jun 14, 18 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what the actual fuck. they write cursive?

Jun 14, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

sorry for the swear words

Jun 14, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

payed? come on.

Jun 14, 18 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think you should dress up for the kid's visit.  sort of like halloween style. while the marketing people make everything look nice, the kids will see the bloody mad scientist in the background.

Jun 14, 18 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: