Archinect
anchor

Laptops v desktops?

dominiond

hi all- just doing an informal survey of firms sized 50 people plus... are you using all laptops or all desktops or a combo? If the latter- what percentage?  

Thanks all-

Jun 11, 18 12:48 pm
Non Sequitur

Desktops.  

Jun 11, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

Thanks!

Jun 11, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

My firm is smaller, but we use a mix.  Partners and up get laptops because they don't draft and are typically traveling at least every other week.  PMs get a desktop and a tablet because they do travel frequently, but also have to review drawings.  Everyone else gets only a desktop, but we have a few laptops/tablets floating around to share.  The basic rule of thumb is no one is allowed to work from home without permission, so if people don't have a way to do that - no computer - then you reduce the risk.

Jun 11, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Desktop and iPad for the field.

Jun 11, 18 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

there are some people i hope see this post. except, android instead of ipad. and microsoft surface instead of android.

Jun 11, 18 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

@curtkram... Yes, I'd rather a surface than iPad. But alas... it wasn't my choice.

Jun 12, 18 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
rutaba

desktop 

Jun 11, 18 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

just buy a fucking boxx already; kill both birds.

Jun 12, 18 1:06 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Desktop with two screens, laptop, smartphone and regular phone all on the same desk and all in operation at the same time.

Jun 12, 18 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Oops, not a 50plus firm though...

Jun 12, 18 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

just bought a Dell G7 laptop... as powerful as my high powered desktop at work. Plus only was $1100

Jun 12, 18 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

We're almost all on VDI now, so what we use doesn't matter as much.  Mostly Surfaces and laptops, depending on personal preference about the keyboard.

Jun 15, 18 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I too am using VDI. A lot of people hate it but I do enjoy the flexibility and ability to work remotely.

Jun 15, 18 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: