Archinect
anchor

Career modelling

archischnect

Hello archinects and all achitecture nation. I have a question. Im currently going to be in a 3rd year (out of 5 years) in architecture school. I am planing to start my own firm as soon as possible, and in my country you can get a license for small buildings like single family houses after two years of practise in some firm after graduation (and after maybe like 5 years for big scale projects like some cultural or commercial buildings and etc), so that makes starting my own firm possible after 5 years soonest (if all goes well and i pass all the exams from the 1st attempt). So i have these 5 years, really don’t have that need to like earn a lot of money now, because i don’t have to pay for rent, so the priority for these years is not to follow the money, but to focus on things which would benefit me the most when i would start my business. By saying benefit i mean what would pay off when i would start my firm, for example some certain knowledge gained from such and such experience, which would make the start much more easier, or anything that. So what i want to ask you guys, what you think, i should pay my biggest attention to during these 5 years? Like are there any important things in university besides just getting the diploma? For eg having super good grades or wining some awards by the projects i will make in arch school? Will all that matter, if in the end i will go out by myself, and not hunting for some good positions for someone else firm? Or like gaining experience in firms until ill get my license- what i should seek for? Working for as many firms as i can during that period? Working for the very best arch firm in my country? Looking for a job where i would get as much involved as possible in same kind of work process, that i would do when my own firm? A bit confused where to draw the line and on what things to focus on and on what things not, which things will be important and which things won’t.. 

Any kind of advices or tips will be super super valuable!!! And... who knows, maybe your child will be the one who will get some valuable advice on some platform from me (meaning that i will give back for your advice, maybe not directly, but who knows)

Jun 9, 18 6:12 pm
Non Sequitur
Focus on landing a real job in a real practice working on real projects. Once you know how to put buildings correctly, then consider branching out on your own. You’re in 3rd year so you don’t know shit yet, work on that.

Also, paragraphs help.
Jun 9, 18 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
A career in modeling is probably far more lucrative than one in architecture. But I hear it’s harder to break into.
Jun 9, 18 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

@archnine no it’s not career of modeling, it’s modelling of architecture career

@non sequitur yeah, thank you very much for the tip. Actually im already working for some firm, started few months ago, but was thinking if anything in university, architecture school besides just getting that paper, that you finished university and can move towards licensing matter, like, idk, good grades, or making some standing out projects, maybe trying to win some competitions with them, or get some awards, does any of those things rly would matter in the future, like, idk, maybe for finding some clients or smth, or getting more of them (eg if i would win some competition during university)

Jun 10, 18 4:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hardly anything you're writing here makes any sense and makes it impossible to give any sort of advice. 

1. Want to get the most out of your university experience? Take business classes.
  2. Good grades?  Why would you not be chasing top grades by default?
  3. Competitions are good to pad your portfolio when you first start looking for a real office gig. 

I don't know what country you're in where a license is just given after so little time in the real world, but please realize that clients (aka people with the money) won't just drop cash into some fresh wanker just because they won a few undergrad awards.  You need to have experience in running successful projects before thinking you can find, and keep, clients.

Jun 10, 18 10:53 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Also, nobody gives a shit about your schoolwork once you've proven yourself in an office environment.

Jun 10, 18 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

Wow guys, your shared insights are priceless to me, really, especially at this point in my life. I know that i'm very off the ground, but it's because i have no collected info on that topic, and what you shared makes me at least several times more grounded now. Thank you very much for reading my long non-sensual and super not concrete post with unclear questions. Thank you @non sequitur, thank you @randomised

Jun 10, 18 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

But developing it a bit more,

Jun 10, 18 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

@non sequitur

Jun 10, 18 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

1. What did you mean by saying that if i want to get the most out of university experience, i should take business classes? Like to take some classes specificly on how to run business successfully? ​​ Again, thank you very much, your all comments guys are super valuable for me, that's more than i expected to get here, it makes things much more clear

Jun 10, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

running an office and most large projects are business. Taking or auditing business courses will give you a peek at contract law, income/salary, investment, market forces, etc.

Jun 10, 18 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

@non sequitur omg, you are the man bro. i have absolutely 0 knowledge in this and this will be exactly what i'm going to do. Because, yes, it's obviously a business. Man... I'm feeling that i don't understand yet how much valuable this advice is and how much it will benefit me in the future. Thank you... University/architecture school doesn't prepare for running architecture office successfully at all, it doesn't prepare you for real life and how to actually be successfull, it teaches just one, theoretical part and very little about practical side of the profession.. Maybe intentionally, maybe not, idk. Well it's at least in my country, but as i hear from people, it's the most case scenario in all places. It's totally two different things for what you are preparing in university and with what you have to deal in real life.. +10 karma points for you my man (or woman) :)

Jun 11, 18 8:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^You're welcome. Stick around the forums, there is decent gold amidst the sass.

Jun 11, 18 8:25 am  · 
 · 
archischnect

Man... thank you for letting me know that, i definitely will, i sincerely wish you get the very best in your life. You are a good man (/woman), i was so desperate, but now i have quite concrete direction to follow and i'm just some random stranger... ) I'm from Lithuania by the way. Thank you, wish you the best!

Jun 11, 18 10:25 am  · 
 · 
zonker

a career in modeling?: 

http://www.corbisstudio.com/

Jun 10, 18 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

No no no, i understood that the title i created gave a bit misunderstanding, but i couldn't change it afterwards. I meant 'modeling successful career in architecture' or smth like that

Jun 11, 18 8:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: