Archinect
anchor

stair case ideas for a octagon house

ToddBomb

I have been tossing the idea of a house in the shape of a octagon with a courtyard in the centre. the problem is that you would have to go to the central stair case in the north trapezoid to access either of the floors, so if you are on the opposite side of the house, you have to walk all around the building just to go to the same room on the floor below. I could add a spiral stair case in every corner of the house, but that is expensive, and you would have to design the rooms to work around them. Another idea is to have two U shaped staircases with a landing at the bend to open the space, between two trapezoids, symmetrically place on both side of the octagon, but the idea seems to be to forced and not a natural progression of the building. for the same reason, i don't feel that a spiral stair case would fit naturally in a trapezoid. to help visualise the floor plan, each trapezoid has a function. The southern most trapezoid is the gate house, allowing a car to drive under neath and to the garage directly to the right ( the south-east trapezoid). The eastern most trapezoid is the master suite and bath (the entire second floor is designated to the bedroom while the ground floor is for the master bath and hallway between the garage and next trapezoid.). the next trapezoid (moving in a counter clock ways direction) is the living room with a second floor balcony looking down from the entire perimeter of the trapezoid. the north most trapezoid is the "grand entry" where the central staircase is located (this is the only room in the house with a circular design as the roof is made to be a dome and the stair case hugs the wall moving from the sides to the centre (like a horseshoe at a 45 degree angle) and to a balcony that leads to both sides of the dome and into the next trapezoid to give the entry a open atmosphere.). the trapezoid to the left is the kitchen with a mirrored layout to the living room. the kitchen set is on the outer wall and the dinning table is in the centre. the western most trapezoid are the two second floor bedrooms and the ground floor bathroom. the last trapezoid is the pool room/atrium. Both the garage and the pool room have a second floor balcony. the second floor of the gate house is used as a "bridge" between the south west/east trapezoids). i could describe the home in greater detail if requested. I may post pictures at a later time. if anyone could spitball with me, i would appreciate any input.

Jun 8, 18 8:18 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 16 Comments

Volunteer

Thomas Jefferson's Popular Forest:

Jun 8, 18 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
ToddBomb

Not a bad suggestion, however this design forces you to design around the stairs. and just if their was confusion, the centre is a open air courtyard, also in a octagon design. i would also like to keep the stairs as a interior element to keep the lines of the building clean.

Jun 8, 18 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

'Staircase' is one word.

Jun 8, 18 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
ToddBomb

just a typo, lol

Jun 9, 18 12:30 am  · 
 · 
ToddBomb

a often repeated typo, lol

Jun 9, 18 12:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

*an often repeated typo

Jun 9, 18 4:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Oft repeated

Jun 10, 18 10:08 am  · 
 · 
randomised

oft-repeated...had to look it up, thanks for that one :)

Jun 10, 18 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

and the grammar police are still hot in their investigations.

Jun 10, 18 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Skip the stairs, just go for spiralling stepped floors.

Jun 9, 18 4:55 am  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

do you have a example in mind?

Jun 9, 18 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

where would you put this, or how would you implement this into the structure? 

Jun 10, 18 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It would be the entire building, not some minor appendix here or there

Jun 11, 18 4:07 am  · 
 · 
Koww

chutes and ladders

Jun 9, 18 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

fun children's game, not so much for a home.

Jun 9, 18 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm surprised this is not a mobius strip concept using shipping containers.

Jun 10, 18 10:59 am  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

it could be, if you want to platy around with it

Jun 10, 18 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

*play

Jun 10, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

A hypercube is the obvious solution.

Jun 10, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

its an interesting one, but i cant find a solution using a hypercube. how would you make it work?

Jun 10, 18 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Run a loggia along the inside of the courtyard along three or so sides on the top and bottom stories.  Have one of the stairs go from the top to the bottom loggia.

Jun 10, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Another solution.
Jun 10, 18 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

obviously but why follow a cliche?

Jun 10, 18 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Fitting a house into a simple geometric form is a cliche. Focus on creating a good design rather than sticking to a shape.

Jun 10, 18 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

i wouldn't call a octagon either simple or cliche. a mobius circle would be a truly fun design, but its not practical for a home. and i think the picture was was meant as a joke but i could be wrong.

Jun 10, 18 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
todd-bomb

so after staring at a octagon for several days, the solution that i have arrived at myself is to place stairs in the north east/west corners on the south east/west trapezoids respectively. the ground floor landing is hugging the wall to the adjacent trapezoid, leading to a landing, goes up the courtyard wall to end on the balcony. making for a total of three staircases. if anyone has a better or a fun idea they think would be interesting, i would be glad to read them. thank you everybody who has made a suggestion. even you,Miles Jaffe.

Jun 10, 18 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I think you should put the stairs in the north/west corner of the south/east trapezoid and connect it to the northeast trapezoid by a catwalk across the courtyard. Not to be confused by the elevator in the northwest trapezoid that goes to the roof. Unless it doesn't.

Jun 11, 18 8:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

And from the roof, have a slide that drops dead-centre into the pool inside the octagon courtyard.

Jun 11, 18 8:26 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

am I high?

Jun 11, 18 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Nah, we are just trying to help someone fail second year studio. This project has a lot going for it in the right direction for total failure. It just needs a final nudge.

Jun 11, 18 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And based on experience: Yes, you're high.

Jun 11, 18 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

WWUFCD?

I think the stair's off to the side somewhere.

Jun 11, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I now understand the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words"

Let's see some floorplans toddy boy.

Jun 11, 18 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
futurich

University of Illinois at U-C Aces Library

Jun 15, 18 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
futurich

adding this one too!

Jun 15, 18 12:41 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Why stairs? Follow Michael Maltzan on Pittman Dowell Residence. I think it’s a septagonal building, but same idea.
Jun 21, 18 2:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: