Archinect
anchor

Architecture or well settled father's business?

dharminsheth

I have pursued a B.Arch degree in India and now i am stuck with a decision to make for the future. My father owns a well settled textile business and wants me to think about inheriting the same as it would guarantee a safe and high paying future and on the other side for my architectural career it would require years of hard-work to get somewhere and there is no guarantee of it succeeding. My father wants me to expand the current business. I am currently 23 and just graduated to settle down in architectural career it would require at least 5-7 yrs of time whereas it would hardly take 2 yrs time to learn and to settle down with my father? I am not sure what to do, please help?

Jun 6, 18 1:06 am
randomised

Use your father's business to do architecture

Jun 6, 18 4:18 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Always take the money and run
Jun 6, 18 8:10 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Run like the wind.

Jun 6, 18 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

This is why you won't ever master anything. You lack passion. You just want to reap the reward. Read this book- may help you in life: https://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Robert-Greene/dp/014312417X

Oct 31, 19 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Dokuser

Ah, a self help book recommendation

Oct 31, 19 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Dokuser

He will master not only how to run a business but how to incorporate architecture into his life while doing so. Sounds pretty great to me...

Oct 31, 19 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Taking the money is nice; BUT: taking the money at the expense of doing great work is not exactly a virtue.

Oct 31, 19 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Your father's business gives you a stable income and you have his support to learn the ropes until you can succeed on your own.

Architecture provides none of that, at least not in the short term.

If you find out later in life that you made the incorrect decision, it would probably be easier to swallow if you were financially stable with a business you own.

Jun 6, 18 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

Wtf are you talking about?! I've made a stable income in architecture since I was 22 years old, when I began working for a large corporate architecture firm. I'm learning the ropes until I can succeed on my own. Architecture provided that in the short term. Not sure what experiences you or oneLOSTarchitect are coming from...

Jun 7, 18 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Oh, I missed where this was about you.

Jan 15, 20 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

do architecture as a hobby, that would be awesome.

Jun 6, 18 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

what are you doing? Do not do architecture. I had a similar situation where my father had a successful business for me to carry the baton... I decided not to take it as I wanted to be my own man and find my own success. Well it’s been 14 years since I made that decision and tell me how successful I am? I’ll tell you... not at all. I made my bed now I have to lay in it. Do I regret the decision I made? You bet I do! I made the wrong decision pursuing architecture. 

Jun 6, 18 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I help run a business and do architecture on the side. I recommend it. 

Jun 6, 18 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
limitededition

Tarak Mehta dekh

Jun 7, 18 12:33 am  · 
1  · 
bennyc

how about starting an textitechture business, where you build buildings out of textile, could be the future. 

Jun 7, 18 10:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's what I would do.

Jun 7, 18 10:55 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Take your father's business for a stable and lucrative future.

Noone ever complained about making too much money.

Jun 28, 18 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Feedlydee

Take the business and hire an architect later to design your dream buildings.

Oct 31, 19 2:41 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Youd be a idiot not to take over your father's well established business. You must have no work history in architecture to even fathom polling the internet for such a question. Facepalm 

Oct 31, 19 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Dokuser

I’d take over your father’s business, or you’ll regret it down the road. You could always incorporate both into your life.

Oct 31, 19 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

yeah, this thread got me by the ballz and didnt let go. Now I'm ballzless like Balkins. Ayee yeh aye!!!

Oct 31, 19 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: